Breakthrough bleeding on pellets

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started the estrogen and testosterone pellets in March and menopause symptoms gone but the breakthrough bleeding won't. At first we figured it was because I didn't have enough estrogen pre-pellets. Then too much estrogen so lowered pellet to 25mg from 50mg in October. I'm taking 200mg progestin daily, could that be causing the bleeding? It's really annoying and I'm sick of it. Doctor's answer is an IUD or a hysterectomy, even though my endometrial biopsy came back fine and so did Pap. Those are not options to me and I really think this is a hormone problem. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi peaceful,

Is there a reason your using a synthetic progesterone? ( progestin)? Why are you not using a natural progesterone with your pellets? Also 200 mg may be too high a dose and keeping the bleeding going. I'm on pellets and take 100mg of prometrium ( the generic form of natural progesterone). I would personally dump the progestin and get natural progesterone. The progestin could be the culprit.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, yes I'm on Prometrium generic, I asked my doc about lowering that dose. She seems to be stuck on the premise that less, going to 100mg a day will cause more bleeding. I'm on 400mg for the next few days, she believes that will stop the bleeding and then go back to 200mg. I'm going to push her for 100mg just to try it.

• Edited

I understand the increased dosage to finish the bleed you gave going on. I had the same issue . Dr increased to get that bleed out then went down to a lower dose. I don't think its normal to have ongoing bleeding.

• Edited

yes , it is a hormone issue of too much estrogen . did they test your levels? some of the testosterone converts to estrogen and it compounds over time . this happened to me after about a year . i bled for over 2 months and when it was time for pellet refill i stopped taking the estrogen and the . bleeding stopped and then 3 months later i went to estrogen cream . about 6 months ago i switched to testosterone cream . i personally like the cream a lot better and its sooo much cheaper . find another DR or hormone place since they dont seem to understand and you dont need surgery

• Posted

im on kliovance and have been for about 2 years now . I feel so much better but have had break through bleeding throuought this time. I have been for a scan and internal and finally a biopsy everything came back fine. Recently my breakthrough has been very minor so im prepared to live with it it depends how much bleeding you are getting

• Posted

its sad i feel like i cant get answers from the drs who inserted my testerone pellets.Im not even going through menopause but since getting the testerone pellets ive had 2 cycles some months and breakthrough bleeding out of no where..This dr tells me She doesn’t think it’s from the pelllets She doesn’t think it’s from the pellets but I’ve never had this issue until I got pellets so how is that. Very frustrating but I’ve never had this issue until I got pills so how is that. Very frustrating. It’s been bittersweet because I have felt much better but it’s like I have to give up my regular cycles just feel better and no one seems to be able to explain what is going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.