Breast cysts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I’m 51 and in menapause. I’m on hrt conti patches low dose. I had a cyst on one of my breasts just below my nipple about 6 monthes ago, ended up on anti biotics to clear it up, I’ve just noticed it’s come back really sore and red so off to Drs again tomorrow, so my question is does any body else get breast cysts or cysts anywhere else that’s in the menapause thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I just got home from taking care of my 49 year old daughter that had a breast cyst that was "sore" and after a lot of going back and forth between doctors, surgeons, radiologists, it was decided to remove it.  She is NOT yet on HRT, but the surgeon that finally removed it said pathology told her it was just about to turn cancerous and was very glad that she got it out before she starts HRT....so my opinion was if something is SORE, it should be your right as a patient to have it removed, cancer or not, you should not have to live with constant soreness.

• Posted

Hi joy my dr told me that if it comes back again then I will have to go to a breast surgern and have it removed. I had one on my back last year and after 3 attempts of anti biotics they removed it and as never come back xx
  • Posted

I'm 76, Karen, and I took Premarin until I had a lumpectomy for "clustering of calcifications", the radiologist had been following me for 10 years,  The lumpectomy was such a huge area, I went to a plastic surgeon and had a bilateral breast reduction done so I would be "even".  The pathology came back LCIS, lobular carcinoma in situ, I was sent to an oncologist and she recommended I take a drug similar to Tamoxifen and of course, had to immediately stop HRT.  I declined the medication instead am just being monitored yearly with a 3D mammography, her opinion is it shows her as much as an MRI would. She said given my age, it reduces the chances of cancer spreading only 15% so I am just being "monitored".  I am not sorry I took HRT for the 20+ years that I did.  Since I stopped it, I have had depression, night sweats, and other symptoms of menopause, but I have no choice but to live with them given my diagnosis.  After 4 years, the symptoms of menopause are somewhat better...less night sweats and for awhile I took Celexa to battle the depression, but it is now under control so I no longer take that.  Anything with breast issues always seems scary but with the current treatment, I have confidence that the doctors are treating patients more aggressively than they use to.  I think to me, it sounds like your doctor is on top of your situation and would refer you to a surgeon if need be.  Breast cancer is not the scary diagnosis that it once was if a patient keeps up with their mammograms and I would suggest to everyone out there to find a hospital that has the 3D imagery equipment.  It saved my sister's life, she did have invasive cancer but was caught early thanks to the 3D Mammogram

• Posted

Thanks for your reply joy. I’ve been on hrt patches for a year and a half now but I told my dr after two years a want to come off them. She said at my age I’m very safe to stay on for another 5-10 years but I don’t want that. They are definitely cysts they keep bursting, but I would prefer to have it removed if it comes back again cause they are very sore xx
  • Posted

I'm not advocating anyone stay or go on HRT if they aren't comfortable with that.  For me it was an easy decision because my mother, now age 97 took them for over 30 years and kept her healthy, I think,  Now been off of them for 10 years, but still alive and we're grateful...NOT saying the HRT was the reason she's still alive...but she did well on them with no side affects.  There is so much controversy about taking them, but a person has to do what they feel is right for them personally and be comfortable with their decision.  Just stay on top of your cysts with your doctor's guidance and keep up on your mammograms, like I said, I really do advocate for the 3D imagery if you have a hospital near you that offers that.  My daughter had the 3D image done in Seattle and it's a big city with lots of options for GOOD health care.  Her doctor finally recommended that she see a surgeon and have the cysts removed because they were so painful and afterward, the path report said they were they type of tissue that is "pre- cancer" and was happy that she had taken the cyst our for my daughter, who is 49 and not yet on HRT...but I am recommending she go on them for at least the first 10 years of post menopause...and then slowly wean off by taking the lowest dose possible every other day and then extending that to a longer time frame.  You really do have to find a doctor who will work with you on that because they seem to all have different opinions about it.  Good Luck and hope you have a successful outcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.