Breast infection or cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For some time now I have burning sensation in my left breast. A few days ago my nipple on the left started itching real bad. The pharmacist gave me a cream to soothe the itching and told me it might burn for a few days. Today I went to my gp as I felt a lump ( I have very lumpy boobs but thought with this burning I should go). The dr thinks I have a breast infection as my nipple is very slightly red and feels warm to the touch. He suggested I try creams first, if nothing improves by Thursday he told me to start antibiotics and if after that it still doesn't get better he told me to go back. I don't have discharge or crusting and I don't think I have dimpling (many stretch marks on my small boobs). I have warmth and burning sensation and to me my boob looks ok but I feel it bigger. He said my lymph nodes are not inflamed either. Since the symptoms of IBC are the same I am panicking. When I mentioned it he said he is not worried but I am panicking. Did anyone have a breast infection with warmth and burning sensation without fever? Please let me know as I am already convincing myself I'm dying.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I suffered recurring breast infection for nearly 2 years and I only had a fever maybe twice as to 8 times with no fever so the answer is yes its possible.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply.  did you feel the same sensation of burning and warmth (dr told me he actually felt the difference).  did you just use creams or straight on antibiotics?  im 40 btw and i am freaking out so sorry for all the questions.
    • Posted

No problem I've needed loads of questions answering lol mine is periductal mastitis that I suffer with repeatedly u can Google the symptoms so I don't have to bore u lol I was straight on antibiotics however I needed ALOT coz it just wouldnt go I felt burning a lot of the time and yes I also had warmth

• Posted

thanks for your patience and understanding.  it seems to be the same thing apart from the initial itching. i am a big worrier and a close friend of mine recently died from breast cancer and i am petrified i am next sad i feel like one breast is bigger than the other but my dr said it doesnt look swollen.  just hope it passes and it is not something else.  how are you now?  has it passed?
    • Posted

Yes mine has passed for now I have had recurrent episodes of it so I expect it again at some point lol it has mentaly drained me I developed health anxiety through it though I had swollen nodes still have actually and peau d orange for some time an boob twice the size of the other I was told it was infection then the antibiotics was taking so long to work I was convinced it was cancer but docs told me it was infection time after time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give time for antibiotics/cream to work before u worry yourself sick coz its not worth worrying till there's something to worry about.

• Posted

you are very right but you know how the brain works...sad  so sorry you have developed anxiety as i have been living with it for many years and it really does take its toll on you.  i keep thinking back on the past years when i did have this burning but dr kept saying it was a nerve (it developed with all the carrying of my son) and although occassionally it has gone away i can say that most of the time i have had it.  This time its worse and of course my brain tells me that i have advanced cancer but i need to stop.  hopefully symptoms will improve soon
    • Posted

If you feel like that maybe make a plan for your mind as in if it hasn't improved in a week I will go doctors and ask for a referral to breast clinic I did not no but you can request to be seen not just wait for the doctor to suggest it, and if you have followed the doctors advise as in the cream an the antibiotics then it would be sensible for an ultrasound/mammogram but cross that bridge if an when u need to. I had immense pain for a long time in breast and I had the contraceptive implant I then had it removed and my pain subsided by at least 90%.

• Posted

Wow I didn't know it could cause pain. I don't have one so that's not an option 😞 I will wait till Thursday and then start antibiotics. Friday I need to take my son to the dr anyway so I will ask him to check me again. The burning is horrible but will try get some sleep burning and all and pray I wake up better. I'm imagining to waking up with it huge and bright red. Tks a million u kept me abit sane 😁

• Posted

No problem I looked everywhere for answers that didn't lead to a cancer diagnosis that's y I stayed on forums In case someone needs a story of symptoms like mine that was a b9 one

Take care

• Posted

You are such a great person! As soon as I type in my symptoms google just refers you to IBC! Still the same this morning ... I can't expect miracles though ... that I know. Have a great day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.