Breast lump and very scared :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help!

I found a small lump on my breast, the size of a pea, early Wednesday morning. I managed to get an urgent appointment with my GP later on the same morning. She said she thinks it may be a cyst but I have been referred to the Breast Clinic for further investigation. I have an appointment on Tuesday 31/03/2015 at the hospital.

I am very worried. It seems like such a long time to wait. I have been advised that I will probably have an examination, mammogram and ultrasound. 

I am 51 years old and I'm, actually, terrified sad Not sure what to think or do and finding it difficult to even sleep.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I really hope that your lump actually is a cyst. I always had "lumpy" breasts but it was hormonal and four months of taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules soon solved that problem.  Having said that, I had two different lumps at least 20 years ago.  One was a small lump that moved about under the skin and was on the inside of my breast, near the cleavage.  I got to see a consultant who diagnosed it as a thing they lovingly call a breast mouse and she said she might as well take it out there and then!  I went up to a ward and she came up shortly after, made a small cut under local anaesthetic and removed it. Unfortunately there was no stitch equipment to close the wound so I had to wait while some was sent up.  I never had any more trouble with it.   The other lump was bigger and harder and I saw a consultant who said he would stick a needle into it and if anything came out then it meant it was a cyst.  He stuck the needle in and drew a load of horrible stuff out into a big syringe.  He emptied the cyst and said there was a possibility it could come back but thankfully I haven't had any more signs of it.  I don't know whether they do that sort of thing now as I wasn't offered any scans or a a mammogram but I've had several mammograms since and nothing has been picked up.

The chances are your lump is a benign cyst but at least you'll soon get a diagnosis from a consultant.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hello you

Firstly, if your doctor thinks that you have a benign cyst, then they are probably correct.  Cysts tend to be smooth, discrete lumps that are not firmly attached to underlying structures, and often seem to appear overnight. 

I know exactly how you are feeling, as two years ago, when I was 52, I was found to have breast cancer following my first routine mammogram.  I seem to be fine now, although tomorrow I am having my annual mammogram and six monthly check with the breast surgeon.

Ironically, it was the wait between my biopsies and the day that I was given the formal diagnosis that was the worst time for me, so you have my absolute sympathy.  It is really hard to deal with.

However - there are ways to cope with it, just as if the worst comes to the worst, you will deal with whatever you have to.  I did - and I don't consider myself in the least bit strong or courageous.

There is a wonderful organisation called breastcancercare, which is easy to find on line.  It is a charity run by volunteers, and the phone is answered by quite highly trained people who have either had breast cancer, a partner with it, or a genetic predisposition towards it.  They are highly informed, kind, helpful, and able to listen to you with all your fears and anxieties.  They are available during office hours, and if you look them up on line, you will find the number, along with all sorts of reliable and useful information that may help you.  Whatever the outcome of your investigations next week, they will be with you all the way.

On the subject of the net - I really recommend that you don't spend hours wading about in the huge amount of information, much of which is fallacious and unreliable, that you can find on the net.  Unless you have some formal medical or similar training, you won't necessarily be able to determine which are reliable sites, and which are not.  In this respect it was easier for me, as I am a retired doctor, with experience in the area of breast cancer in that I used to anaesthetise patients for breast cancer surgery, and for reconstruction.  No doubt I am out of date, but it gives me some insight into the disease, and the problems that are associated with it.

Of course you are terrified - all adult women are where it comes to breast cancer and breast lumps.  I absolutely sympathise with you - it is a dreadful thing to deal with while you wait for your appointment, and the results of it.

I found the anxiety, sleeplessness, lack of concentration and irritability far worse before I had my diagnosis than afterwards.  How to cope with it?

Perhaps try some of the following:

Firstly, and most importantly, try to maintain a positive outlook.  It is highly likely, in view of your doctor's primary diagnosis that the lump is in fact a benign cyst.  Try not to dwell on the 'what if's, and also try not to spend too much time alone, worrying yourself about it.  Pacing around the house rarely helps.

This is where friends and a good partner, if you have one, come in - this is what they are for, so ask for their help and support.  Just as you would supply exactly that help, love and support to them, were they to be in your situation. 

Don't forget to look after yourself - eat as well as you can, spoil yourself if you have any appetite, otherwise make yourself eat a healthy diet.  Even just a little bit, or a little bit of what you might actually like.

Drink plenty of water.  People who are severely anxious often forget to do this, and even quite mild dehydration can make one feel dreadful.

If you can bear to do it, try to go outside, especially with this lovely spring weather, and get a little bit of exercise.  Perhaps a walk, with a friend?  Maybe in a park, or somewhere in the countryside, if you are able to. Exercise, even gentle exercise increases your natural endorphin production, and that makes you feel heaps better.

You probably know already the things that tend to relax you.  However, I would recommend any or all of the following:

Perhaps try a hot bath with lovely smellies in it, maybe with your favourite music wafting along from outside the bathroom.

Find something familiar that you like to watch on TV, and actually watch it, preferably tucked up in bed.  Tonight there is the third episode of Poldark, and I defy anyone not to enjoy it!

Have a big, yummy drink of your favourite thing, and snuggle up for the night.

You have my absolute sympathy and support. 

I think it highly probable that this will turn out to be exactly what your GP has suggested, in which case that will be fantastic news, and a huge relief for you.

If not - there is a huge amount of help out there, and you will somehow find the inner strength to deal with whatever life throws at you.

I shall be thinking of you.

If you feel able to, would you let me know how you get on?

With my kindest regards

M xx

Hello you

Firstly, if your doctor thinks that you have a benign cyst, then they are probably correct.  Cysts tend to be smooth, discrete lumps that are not firmly attached to underlying structures, and often seem to appear overnight. 

I know exactly how you are feeling, as two years ago, when I was 52, I was found to have breast cancer following my first routine mammogram.  I seem to be fine now, although tomorrow I am having my annual mammogram and six monthly check with the breast surgeon.

Ironically, it was the wait between my biopsies and the day that I was given the formal diagnosis that was the worst time for me, so you have my absolute sympathy.  It is really hard to deal with.

However - there are ways to cope with it, just as if the worst comes to the worst, you will deal with whatever you have to.  I did - and I don't consider myself in the least bit strong or courageous.

There is a wonderful organisation called breastcancercare, which is easy to find on line.  It is a charity run by volunteers, and the phone is answered by quite highly trained people who have either had breast cancer, a partner with it, or a genetic predisposition towards it.  They are highly informed, kind, helpful, and able to listen to you with all your fears and anxieties.  They are available during office hours, and if you look them up on line, you will find the number, along with all sorts of reliable and useful information that may help you.  Whatever the outcome of your investigations next week, they will be with you all the way.

On the subject of the net - I really recommend that you don't spend hours wading about in the huge amount of information, much of which is fallacious and unreliable, that you can find on the net.  Unless you have some formal medical or similar training, you won't necessarily be able to determine which are reliable sites, and which are not.  In this respect it was easier for me, as I am a retired doctor, with experience in the area of breast cancer in that I used to anaesthetise patients for breast cancer surgery, and for reconstruction.  No doubt I am out of date, but it gives me some insight into the disease, and the problems that are associated with it.

Of course you are terrified - all adult women are where it comes to breast cancer and breast lumps.  I absolutely sympathise with you - it is a dreadful thing to deal with while you wait for your appointment, and the results of it.

I found the anxiety, sleeplessness, lack of concentration and irritability far worse before I had my diagnosis than afterwards.  How to cope with it?

Perhaps try some of the following:

Firstly, and most importantly, try to maintain a positive outlook.  It is highly likely, in view of your doctor's primary diagnosis that the lump is in fact a benign cyst.  Try not to dwell on the 'what if's, and also try not to spend too much time alone, worrying yourself about it.  Pacing around the house rarely helps.

This is where friends and a good partner, if you have one, come in - this is what they are for, so ask for their help and support.  Just as you would supply exactly that help, love and support to them, were they to be in your situation. 

Don't forget to look after yourself - eat as well as you can, spoil yourself if you have any appetite, otherwise make yourself eat a healthy diet.  Even just a little bit, or a little bit of what you might actually like.

Drink plenty of water.  People who are severely anxious often forget to do this, and even quite mild dehydration can make one feel dreadful.

If you can bear to do it, try to go outside, especially with this lovely spring weather, and get a little bit of exercise.  Perhaps a walk, with a friend?  Maybe in a park, or somewhere in the countryside, if you are able to.                  Exercise, even gentle exercise increases your natural endorphin production, and that makes you feel heaps better.

You probably know already the things that tend to relax you.  However, I would recommend any or all of the following:

Perhaps try a hot bath with lovely smellies in it, maybe with your favourite music wafting along from outside the bathroom.

Find something familiar that you like to watch on TV, and actually watch it, preferably tucked up in bed.  Tonight there is the third episode of Poldark, and I defy anyone not to enjoy it!

Have a big, yummy drink of your favourite thing, and snuggle up for the night.

You have my absolute sympathy and support. 

I think it highly probable that this will turn out to be exactly what your GP has suggested, in which case that will be fantastic news, and a huge relief for you.

If not - there is a huge amount of help out there, and you will somehow find the inner strength to deal with whatever life throws at you.

I shall be thinking of you.

If you feel able to, would you let me know how you get on?

With my kindest regards

M xx

• Posted

Just read your post and it's wonderful.  I've just found a lump, small, hard and my gp thinks it's attached , I've got a breast clinic appointment on Friday and I just can't concentrate, I've told my husband and my parents but no one else, as I don't want o worry anyone else, but I feel that I'm a bit all over the place, from its nothing to it's breast cancer, and I assume you can empathise. Your post has helped, thanks x 
  • Posted

Hi Magicflower, I can sympathise,  I am in a very similar situation. I'm 46 years old & I found a small pea like lump last Saturday, was absolutely terrified, saw my GP first thing Monday morning and have been referred to the Breast Clinic, my appointment is at 11:10 today, a weeks wait. I have gone through various stages of worry, had nightmares, not known what to do with myself etc. Then phases of thinking the statistics are in my favour, 85% -90% of breast lumps are not cancerous, there is a good recovery rate if it is the worst etc. The added stress for me is that I am due to go on a 'holiday of a lifetime' in 3 week time to the Carribean for my 10th wedding anniversary, and I am also waiting for a scan on a repaired epigastric hernia that developed a lump 2 weeks ago after upping my exercise regime (getting fit for the holiday) and my travel insurance are only giving me 2 options, 1) they will pay for cancellation of the holiday 2) they will refund the insurance premium and withdraw the insurance!!!! Neither of which I want, I want the holiday! So the stress has piled on. I'm hoping that I can report back to you later that all is fine and this may ease your own worry. If you look at the NHS website on breast lumps you may find reassurance about majority breast lumps being non cancerous, I have also found through research that often cancerous breast lumps don't feel round or smooth, they tend to be irregular shape with golf ball texture. Try not to worry as the odds are in your favour and if it is the worst there is a high % of full recovery.
  • Posted

Thank you all very much for replying to my post. It is so reassuring to find I am not alone. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

I will take on board your suggestions and will try to relax a litle more. I have a good support network incuding my mum and a couple of really good friends. One of whom has been through a similar experience and was diagnosed with a cyst a few years ago.

The one thing that comes across loud and clear is that I need to stay as positive as possible. I will try but, as you all know, it is tough as life and its other problems are stilll there.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on next week rolleyes

Den Sut, I really hope all went well today for you x

• Posted

Hi, pleased to hear you have a good support network around you, it helps so much to hear from others who have been through similar experiences. I'm pleased to say all went well today, the staff at the breast clinic were fabulous, so friendly and caring, I felt in very safe hands. I had a mammogram, ultra sound and needle biopsy (even though I have breast implants they managed to do it without touching the implant). They said as the lump was smooth and round and the way it showed on the ultra sound (didn't show at all on the mammogram!) it didn't look cancerous, however to be 110% sure they did the needle biopsy. That was painless, in fact none of the tests were uncomfortable. They were so good that when I told them about my hernia lump and the problem it was causing being undiagnosed for my holiday insurance they dropped the scanner on that too and confirmed all was well, I was soooo pleased. The consultant (a professor!), was very through with his examination too and re-assured me that it did not give any cause for concern, it was almost certainly a cyst, but to be doubly sure I am going back on Friday for the biopsy results. I've been very relieved with a little apprehension due to waiting for the biopsy results, I'm so pleased I booked a leave day from work as I've felt very drained with all the stress of it. There were so many women there today who left looking pleased, so please be re-assured that that is very very likely the case for you too. Good luck with your tests, remember vast majority lumps are not cancerous. Please let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

So good to hear all went well! biggrin

This week is going so slowly!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.