Breast lump or normal tissue?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi first to say that I am 62, I am ashamed to say that I don’t self examine my breasts nearly as much as I should, usually a quick check on the shower, I do have regular mammograms when invited. A few days ago I decided that I should give myself a proper examination and discovered what I thought was a lump near to the nipple, I panicked!! Went to see my GP who thought it was normal breast tissue and took note that I have lumpy breasts, which is correct, I’ve always had lumpy breasts. She reassured me but has referred me to the breast clinic because that is routine procedure when presented with breast concerns, but despite this I am still worrying myself silly because this is what I do, I panic and think the worst, so thought I would panic on here, my daughter and husband keep reassuring me. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm the same with worrying. I'm pretty lumpy too, lol. I once had a pus filled lump by the nipple, and then discharge from the nipple. Doctor said it was just an infection as there IS an opening there, and put me on an antibiotic. Sent me for mammogram, my first, and an ultrasound. It showed everything was ok. You will worry until told differently, of course, but try not to think too much into it until you are told otherwise.

• Posted

Thank you Yojo72 for your reply, I’m a born worrier and seem to have become health anxious since hitting 60!! Before this breast lumps never bothered me as I considered them normal to me, as I’ve already said I have lumpy breasts, I even went on a breast calculator for breast cancer and came out as 98% at Not of high risk, but I still worry, not eating, losing weight, optimistic one minute, doom and gloom the next, waking up with it on my mind, basically cracking up haha I don’t drink, don’t smoke, normal range weight, got an aunt who had breast cancer in her mid 50’s, so a marker, but think it’s more to do with first degree relatives and being under 50 when diagnosed, but all that is only a guide. I’m happy to hear that you were ok, I will update after my appointment next week 👍😊

• Posted

Just a query really to ask anyone who reads this post, has anyone who has found a lump found that you have to be in a certain position to feel it, I can only feel mine when laid flat and my arm right up at which point it feels hard, when I put my arm down the lump moves and feels softer and definitely just part of me, so confusing!! I just thought that finding a lump would be obvious and unmistakable , it really does make me wonder if self examination is of any real use compared to the anxiety that it can cause especially when at an age where you have regular mammograms.
  • Posted

UPDATE!!!

Just got back from Breast Clinic, examined by a Consultant and had a scan, nothing to worry about, just a duct, advised to check it each month for any change which I think is routine advice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.