Breast pain/fibrocystic breast

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 19 year old female. I've been suffering from breast pain since I was about 15. I do have fibrocystic breast  and I'm very scared of breast cancer because I always think my cysts are tumors. 

My breast pain has gotten so severe this past year. Before my period every month my breast will be extremely tender for two weeks prior to my period. Sometimes even all month long. I can't even wear my usual bras and I have to wear a tight sports bra so they don't move around and cause pain. 

Is there anyway I can reduce this pain? I've tried cutting out caffeine for a long time as suggested by my gyno. It did not help much. I've considered a breast reduction (mine are a DD and I'm a very short and small girl) 

I'm wearing the correct bras. I check for lumps weekly and I massage them when they're tender and that helps a little. 

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this pain and has found something that worked for them. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I hope my experience will be helpful. I am 71 now but when I was about 30 I had lumpy breasts and one in particular turned out to be a cyst which was drained and has never come back.  One of my problems was that for years I had been experiencing very bad breast pain, not only just before a period but all the time, day and night. It was so bad I couldnt take my bra off even at night and it also hurt to put my arms by my side.   The consultant I saw about the cyst told me to take Evening Primrose Oil capsules.  There's an active ingredient in the capsules and it's not the EPO you have to look for, it's something called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid).  He told me to take 240mg of GLA a day for four months to flood my body with the GLA and it should solve the problem.   I found some 1000mg Evening Primrose Oil capsules with 80mg of GLA in each. I took three a day (they were a One a Day capsule but you could take up to three a day)  3 x 80 = 240 so I had the right dose.  I have to say that it was miraculous!  After four months the pain had completely disappeared and it never came back.  Perhaps you could try the EPO and see if it helps, even if it doesn't it's supposed to be good for your hair, skin and nails so no harm done!  Look up EPO and see the benefits if you're a bit worried about it and you will see that it's recommended for breast pain.  Hope this helps. ?

• Posted

Thank you so much! I remember my gyno telling me about primrose when I was 16 or so but completely forgot about it. I'll definitely be giving it a try! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.