Breast pain - how to treat?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. 

I have always had breast pain before my period, but this time it did not go away after the period (for the first time ever). My gyn said it was an anovulatory cycle. I'm 49. 

The pain is equally in both breasts - I'm not worried about cancer, although I will have my regular checkup - and it feels like permanent PMS. I'm concerned it might not go away after the next period as well. It feels very much like a hormonal thing. The only other peri symptom I have is irregular bleeding. 

Has anyone had this experience and knows how to treat it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I went through this as well. Two things I was advised not to drink, coffee or any tea with caffeine. If you get rid of these two things your breast pain will go away but it takes awhile for it to get out of your system. So patience is needed. In the meantime, while your body is adjusting to no caffeine, I used arnica to reduce the pain. Doing both things worked really well. Arnica in gel form seemed to work the best for me. Try the arnica as it will offer you some relief. Hope this helps.
  • Edited

Jello!  A daily dose of jello will take away the breast pain.  I know, sounds too simple, but try it.  It's the gelatin in it.  You can use unflavored beef gelatin if you want to (put two LEVEL tsp in your tea or coffee in the mornings...but making jello will do the trick.

• Posted

Isn't perimenopause fun?! (Sarcasm) I have had the breast pain you describe before....usually after ovulation, but I have had it last the entire month......it could mean you have an increase of estrogen in your system at that particular time.  I find every month my symptoms can be mild or down right miserable, I never know until I am in it.  FOr the breast pain, I am using a low dose of bio identical progestrone cream, it kind of keeps things in balance, I have gone months with no pain, but sometimes it is mild until period starts.  Also I use an oil that is specially formulated for breast pain, it can be used for cysts, or pain caused by PMS it is made from several essential oils, so when I would get pain that was awful I would rub this on before bed....it seemed to settle things.  The only thing I get in the way of irregular bleeding is at my period, normally I would start my period and it would last 5-6 days and be done, now when it starts, it starts skimpy, then I get a couple heavy days then it sputters out for a day or two and comes back to finish a day or two more....it's like it doesn't know if it is coming or going.  I miss my normal feeling body, this perimenopause is really a roller coaster ride never knowing what you are in for next.  

• Posted

My period has been the same as that for a few months now...but the last one started heavy, lasted 4 days instead of 8!  Maybe things are finally coming to a slow down for me.  I hope so, this past year has been horrific. Now I deal with the stop dead in your tracks no matter what you're doing and go to bed for a while.  Instant fatigue.  So weird!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.