Breast reduction on the NHS? Please help!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for me/would I be considered for a breast reduction on the NHS? I live in Scotland, 5'3, 15 years old, of a slim build.. everything in proportion accept my breasts which don't fit my frame at all. My breasts are a 36F( which have stopped growing, they've been this size since I was 13. 5'0 just gotten saggier and heavier), and it mentally and physically strains and tires me. I often have migraines, constant back, neck and spinal pain, my spine is actually completely curved because of it..that could turn into spinal arthritis.. It aches terribly., my posture is terrible,my breasts are sagging and sore, rashes and groove marks under my breasts and over my shoulders and my confidence is so low. I've tried everything. Professional bras, losing weight( I've lost two stone ) Im so insecure, embarrassed.. Men constantly stare&whistle at me in public.. It depresses me so much. I can't go swimming, can't play on the trampoline, find it hard to make my bed, straighten my hair, brush my hair and even wash my hair because of the weight and strain on my back, can't go out unless I'm covered, can't buy normal clothes, can't buy bras that don't cause me pain.. This is the prime reason my eating disorder started because it mentally wore my out ( which by the way is over now ) my mother can't afford a private surgeon, but I just can't live like this anymore and the sooner it's done, the better.. I won't suffer anymore.. I understand all of the risks and benefits, pros and cons, the pros 100% outrun the cons by a million miles! I have a doctors appointment tomorrow for it.. But am I likely to be accepted..?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Kris I just wanted 2 let u know I really feel for u even reading your post frustration is clear but at 15 they may day you are too young for such a big operation but I will keep my fingers crossed for you

have you spoken 2 your eating disorder therapist and said how you feel and they can sometimes help

• Posted

Hello,

I thought the same, but I do not understand what would be the point in delaying it any longer, making the severity of the issues worsen. I've heard they give girls age 11+ the operation!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!smile

I don't/didn't have an eating disorder therapist

Thanks,

Kris!

• Posted

I hope you won't mind me saying that I reccomend a second opinion on you bra size. I think it's unusual to be slight and a 36 band. In the short term it might bring a little less discomfort to you before your op. Try Rigby and Peller or Selfridges avoid M&S. 

• Posted

I always wear professional fitted bras, it's a 36F. I don't know why, but it just is and that's what I'm saying, it's too big for my frame.

It's not that, the weight kills my back, chest, neck, ribs, shoulders and spine. My spine is completely curved and it could turn into arthritis the longer it's left. I'm so hunched over and find it so difficult to complete simple tasks

And I'm only 15, so by even doing that, it doesn't stop all of the old men looking down my shirt, staring and whistling.. I can't cope with that

• Posted

There are good professional fittings and bad ones. Some still use the old method. 

Run a tape measure all the way around your body just underneath your breasts and take a measurement in inches. Make sure the tape measure is horizontal and fairly snug. Your arms should be down. Write down this number. if this number is less than 35 inches it's likely you are wearing the wrong size. A well fitted bra could make a world of difference. 

Good luck with everything. 

• Posted

Hi,

As I've explained, I have already tried. I have tried a variation and nothing helps it.

I have done this, I do it every other month and it's a 36F

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.