Breath smells like faeces (Poo)

Posted , 379 users are following.

I have this horrid poo smell from my mouth. I brush my teeth twice a day, floss, use Dentyl PH mouthwash, I have the best oral hygeine of anyone I know but I still have this smell. I am too embarrassed to even ask my flriends or family to tell me my breath stinks. I am becoming totally reclusive because of it. Id rather go to my GP and tell him ive got an STD. I know ive got it coz sometimes people look around and ask if ive farted, and I see people with babies smelling their nappies when I speak. It really is starting to badly affect my life but I just cant pluck up the courage ot go to my GP. How on earht can i ay \"DR, My breath smells like poo!\" Please, if anyone has any tips let me know.

43 likes, 1999 replies

1999 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pluto

This is something nobody likes to talk about, is it? When I was about 15 (about 55 years ago) I found a small leathery dark pellet in my mouth and when I sniffed it it was foul smelling. WhenI got home I explored my mouth with a smooth handled toothbrush and a good mirror and poking about where the tonsils are I found another pellet poking out from the skin it seemed. Over the years whenever I have sensed that unpleasant taste in my mouth (which I am sure is the commonest reason for the nasty breath that so many people suffer from) I repeat the process. It is as if the tonsils contain many little passages ending in the mouth and that is where these pellets lurk and can be gently manipulated to emerge. I dont know what it is, decayed saliver perhaps. And yet it is so common and no one, not even dentists, seems to know about it or discuss it. Another tip: Hydrogen Peroxide \"20 volumes 6%\" is what you ask for in Pharmacies is a small bottle of mouthwash much cheaper and effective than famous brands. Dilute it 50/50 to use. Could buy weaker but its cheaper to dilute! This a dentist DID tell me about!

• Posted

That is what happened to me as well, except it was a whitish leathery pellet.. It smelled awful.. 
    • Posted

Hi these 'pellets' are not uncommon and are called tonsil stones. There is a medical term  tonsilloliths as far as I am aware they are harmless which is why they are not widely discussed in the medical profession
    • Posted

Most of the time these are tonsil stones. My husband gets them and I squeeze them out with a cotton bud. I notice since he stopped eating dairy they stopped coming. There is a weird subculture of people addicted to squeezing them out and posting videos of it on you tube! (Not part of that). Medical term is tonsilith but usually they are white.
  • Posted

hi ,im suffering from the same symtons ,poo breath .just woundering what to do?
  • Posted

can the person who wrote this contact me ****.want to know how you know this and what to do .as im suffering from the same symtoms

[color=green:dbd8af25d3][size=9:dbd8af25d3][i:dbd8af25d3][b:dbd8af25d3](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)[/b:dbd8af25d3] [/i:dbd8af25d3][/size:dbd8af25d3][/color:dbd8af25d3]

• Posted

Hey Mguest,

Have u find the cure of your BB yet?

• Posted

Im still waiting for anyone found a solution on this matter already yet???

• Posted

Dave Pyramid.... It was me who made the original posting, and since then I have bought a water jet thingymajig, to no avail! I scape my tongue in the morning and night (as I always have) to no avail!! I have started using interdental brushes instead of floss.... To no avail! Have used CORTOSYL mouthwash morning and night... To no avail.... I drink plenty of water, eat fruit in the day, brush my teeth etc to within an inch of my life, check my tonsills for \"tonsil stones\"... Guess what... All to no avail. I really take care of myself and my appearance, and this is more than ruining my confidence and my life!!! Contact me here, as it seems you may have left an email address or similar on your post but think its been removed... Or contact me some other way, and ideas????
    • Posted

I would inspect your tonsils. Steven and Pluto had some very valid arguments as to what this could be and I have experienced the same thing as well. 
    • Posted

Hello David, I too experience this poo breath problem. Try a body cleanse using a product called "Bowel Pocket" at your local nutrition store.

Ive had remarkable success with this.. Im not saying it is the cure , but it has definitely been helpful. This smell occasionally returns for a day or two no matter what I do but for the most part I have good breath for weeks . Drink a lot of water daily and also try Chorophyll it all adds up to better breath.

• Posted

Hello Jim, I do the chlorophyll before bed but I still get a white tongue & odor. I have been with a nutritionist that suspects it's I from all my symptoms. He told New it's difficult to treat.

I'm still waiting for blood results to come in for Candida this Friday. The blood Is tested for two weeks. Have your doctors tested your blood?

• Posted

Hi Chris,

If your tongue is white it's a yeast infection. Start eating yogurt no sugar right away. meat 3-5 x's a day , and if it is yeast candidia it's called thrush and a prescription for mouth wash nyasin garggle 3-5 times a day. It takes weeks to get the thrush under contro.  The good bacteria in the stomach has been killed off from the antibiotics it they were taken in the last few days, then the yeast takes over the gut causing yeast candidiasis in the mouth. It's miserable and most docs do not recognize it until it's so far gone it can take weeks to get rid of the yeast infection. 

Just a thought....

Kind Regards

HOPE

• Posted

Hello Hope,

I'm still waiting bc I requested to get Candida blood tested. My gastro is on vacation & I'm waiting for his office to release the results. It's taken for ever! I've had this odor & oral thrush for a year & docs kept telling me it was acid reflux.

I was misdiagnosed & in April I finally found out I don't have acid reflux/gerd.

It's embarrassing & dreadful to go out bc of this BB.

I EAT healthy. No sugar, no wheat. Yogurt is difficult to find work sugar.

I still have this thrush that doesn't go away.

I can't wait to get my results to identify & properly treat this.

Thank you for your response.

• Posted

To get rid of thrush a prescription for any satin is needed. It's a wash ha is used several times a day. And eating yogu help he YAS Beira from takin over the gut. 
    • Posted

Prescription is nystatin. A liquid mouthwash. Yeast infections I get easily when antibiotics are prescribed for infection. Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in the gut and leaves only the yeast that takes over the gut and as a result yeast infections are common. Other meds can be given along with antibiotics to avoid yeast infections or thrush. Discuss this with your dr.

i wish this forum had the edit button. Sometimes auto correct will put in something entirely different than what I type.

• Posted

My tongue towards the back is white, I've been told I may have Thrush.

Eat sugar free yogurts

• Posted

Hey so iv had the problem for a few years now just recently I solved my problem. It's to do with my sinuses when I have dairy it makes my sinuses swell which blocks them and causes mucus to sit in my throat which the kind of ferments and produces a horrible poo smell. So my advice would be to try removing things from your diet for a few weeks and see what happens it could simply be an allergy. Hope this helps   

• Posted

Do you have a picture of it i can't seem to find it thanks!

• Posted

Mine is to do with sinus as well! I have a post nasal drip so I'm always coughing and spitting up mucus. Getting the mucus out and staying away from mucus causing food is my only relief. It seems to be worse during the winter.. I would love to chat with you about this, seeing that we share a similar condition and the fact that I've been suffering with sulfuric, fart breath since I was 16. Had it for two years and then went away for 10 years, now it's back at 29. Any thoughts?

• Posted

I think mine is going away too. It goes away when I stay away from dairy too. I went to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor - and I don't have a sinus issue. I went to a GI and they found signs of acid reflux but the truth is that I don't feel like anything is wrong. Still I'm on some anti-acid medication now and that is a course for a few more weeks. But mostly I think that the smell started going away when I started taking liquid chlorophyl and stopped eating dairy products. I started to notice that I was getting a lot of gas after eating yogurt and kefir - so that was why I started to experiment with that. 

• Posted

After three decades I still have BB, however I got rid of the white tongue issue. In my case I use a comfortable warm saline solution, tilt my head back, half fill my nostrils, soak for 10-15 seconds, suck it hard into my mouth (clear phlegm in nasal passage),wash it around in the mouth ( loosen phlegm on tongue) and spit out. I do it four times a bad. It might work for you too. However I still have BB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.