Breathalysed before surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i am months away before gastric bypass surgery and was told i had to give up smoking, does anyone know if they breathaylise you before surgery ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you saying that although they told you to quit smoking you haven't

If that's the case you are putting yourself at risk not only during the surgery but also after as the body does not heal well on smoker's

Are you in the uk

• Posted

They don't breathalyse you but the anesthetic doctors will know as soon as they put you under. You a really should try to stop even if just 48 hours before. As a smoker I know it's not that easy! But if you can stay off the fags you will heal quicker and minimise complications

• Posted

I have to have spinal fusion surgery soon.My surgeon told me that when I am smoke free for 2 weeks to give his office a call to set it up. I am in so much pain-I need this surgery but can't seem to stop smoking. I'm at least trying to cut down. I was wondering the same-if they can tell that you haven't stopped smoking.

• Posted

Yes they can tell by getting you to do a test that measures your oxygen levels, if they see you have continued to smoke then as the previous poster said you are risking your life on the table and afterwards you will have more problems because you smoke, your body will not heal as well as your counterparts who have quit or never smoked, I'm waiting for a hip replacement and so glad I no longer smoke, its a small price to pay for life changing surgery

If you are struggling ask for help it can be done

• Posted

Thank You for the reinforcement. That's what I need right now.How did you quit?

Good Luck with your hip replacement.

• Posted

I got up Christmas morning and realised that the slight cold and cough I'd had for a couple of days was worse, I lit up had a coughing fit and put ciggy out, not easy but definitely the right way to go especially if it means you will be able to get a better quality of life.

I used an online forum which was invaluable and loads of fresh orange juice and other healthy nibbles, I did put on 3 stone very quickly which thankfully I managed to lose, eventually 😂

Knowing you want to quit is half the battle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.