Breathe Easy groups

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi does anyone. have any experience of a Breath Easy group.  I believe they are run by The British Lung Foundation.  There does appear to be a local group for us.  My husband who has just been diagnosed with COPD is not keen on this sort of thing but I thought I might give it a go.  Does anyone know what goes on at these groups.  I have read on this forum about Pulmonary rehab, but nothing has been mentioned by the hospital.  When he sees the consultant I will ask about it.  

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Everyone just an update.  I went with my husband to our local Breathe Easy Group last week.   I found it quite informative.  There was a senior physio guest who deals with patients with lung disease and is involved in the pulmonary rehab courses.  We learnt about breathing exercises and huff technique to bring up sputum.  My husband tried them and managed to get rid of some sputum which he has not been able to do since he first when to A and E back in September when the cough was really bad following a cold.  My husband although pleased about the exercises etc said the group is not his sort of thing and will not go again.  I thought this might be the case as he does not like being around people who are ill and there were one or two people there on oxygen.  Whether he can be referred for rehab and whether he will want to go I don't know, but they are held locally to us.  He will go tpo the chest clinic next month so will find out what is advised then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.