Breathing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please can someone tell me if you get an infection what your breathing feel like thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jayne

that is rather harder to answer than it seems. You really need your GP to give you a definitive diagnosis. That said, you might have a temperature, your chest might feel tighter than normal, you might hear unfamiliar sounds when you breathe, you may have more difficulty breathing than usual, you might be coughing more than usual and the sputum might have an unfamiliar coloured  tinge. You may also feel more unwell than normal. By you asking the question, it suggests that you think something is different. That is the time yo see your GP and to get treatment quickly if it is needed. 

• Posted

Thanks broadsword for your comments helps me alot all the best
  • Posted

hi jayne it is difficult to recognise an infection even the colour is not always reliable if i feel i might have one i take my temperature  if it is raised its probable there is an infection there
    • Posted

my doctor at the consultants request makes me take antibiotics for 14 days to make sure it has cleared as 7 days is not enough and it has to be the right antibiotic which is why a sputum sample is important
  • Posted

difficult with more mucus and coughing a lot more
    • Posted

Trouble is David I have had no cough and not alot of mucus this is why I don't understand but I getting pain in my lungs.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne.  My breathing seems shallower usually when I have an infection but my real indicators are feeling really unwell; very tired, high temperature, thick green mucous.  I think raised temperature is a good indicator.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comment Anne this really helps.
  • Posted

Sometimes I find my breathing is a little more shallow but apart from the mucus thickening my real symptoms are tiredness and aching joints. So it seems it's different for everyone. My consultant recommends that I take antibiotics for 14 days.

I too get pains in my lungs. Once again my consultant told me this is commonplace for bronchiectasis patients but it is not really known why.

• Posted

Hi operalyn. I too take antibiotics for two weeks and always have a supply so I can start as soon as an infection starts. My consultant recommended this although GP very loathe to prescribe initially.. I take amoxcillin and co-amoxiclav together. Not sure if this is too much info. Find this site super helpful myself.
    • Posted

Hi Anne

I have kept a supply of antibiotics on hand for over 25 years. I have two sorts now and the pharmacist queried it but when I explained he understood. I'm very wheezy today but pollen levels affect me. I like this forum too but it makes me realise how well supported I am. I moved to the south east in the 1980s and went through a bad patch healthwise so was sent to the Brompton in London. Even though I now live in the Midlands I still attend outpatients. They're brilliant there.

• Posted

I know how your feeling Jane, I get daily pains in my chest & back & I don't know if it's due to a infection starting or not. We're both still learning the signs so it's a learning curve for us & others who have just been diagnosed. I told the nurse at my doctors about my symptoms & she is going to rever me to the physiotherapy department after my knee op on Monday. She thinks I might benefit from some breathing techniques to reduce the pains & help the lungs work a bit better, worth a try. Had my pre op on Wednesday last week & had the usual tests including a blood test & a breathing test, my breathing test results were ok even tho I did struggle but my bloods showed my potassium was raised so have had them re done. Once I told them I had bronchiectasis in both lungs they were brilliant & understood everything I told them, that was reassuring. Anyway enough about boring old me lol, make sure you see your GP or get intouch with the hospital respiratory  clinic & try to get seen & get some answers. Good luck Jane & keep smiling :0)
    • Posted

Oh bless you Dave it's so hard i wish you all the luck in the world with your operation and i will have a word with my GP confused
    • Posted

At long last you're getting somewhere.  I'm sure the physio will have lots of suggestions for "exercise".  Good luck, and with knee on Monday. 
    • Posted

Thank you Jayne, it's only a knee op to repair a tear in the meniscus. It will be operation number 6 on the same knee so fingers crossed it will be sorted this time lol :0)
    • Posted

Thank you Anne, slowly but surely I'm getting somewhere so that's good news. Thanks for the good luck, it's only a quick op to repair a tear in the meniscus so should be in & out the same day :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.