breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a problem with breathing when exercising this has crept up on me in the last few years.I have tried cycling and not really improved.I have copd but believbe it is to do with inhaling traffic fumes particularly deisel.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Michael, so sorry you are getting Despondent.  Hopefully this group can give you some really good information and some alternatives to build your stamina.  I completely understand your Chrones disease (been there, still there but under control).  That has nothing to do with your COPD/Emphesema.  Honestly I am surprised that they don't have you on a nebulizer with Levabuterol, Zopenex, or many of the other steroid based breathing treatments, which will give you relief from exersion of exercise, walking, swimming.  There are weeks (if the weather is right) that I can swim day in and out (I swim underwater so that I am holding my breath and then expelling as much as possible after the lap is complete)..  Yes it wears me out, but it is improving my FEV numbers which were horrid....If I were you I would sit down with my doctor, preferably your Pulmonologist who is trying to get your lung function to it's Maximum Medical Improvement and see what alternatives they have for you...Are you on Oxygen?  If not perhaps you may want to see if they will give you that script to use while exercising.  Do you have sleep apnea?  If so then you may need to let them check you for a cpap machine for better sleeping.  Are you sleeping flat or elevated ?  You need to get elevated....You need as much oxygen flowing through your limbs as possible.  Don't just sit during the day...get up and walk around.  You will begin to feel better, but you really need to specify an amount of time record what the doctors say and if you don't agree, then go see someone else.  Get proactive with your treatment, it's your body and you know better than anyone else how you feel.  You can't change the damage, but you can stop the progression of the disease.  God bless, let us hear from you and what you find out.  Keep all that medical information and all your test results with you at all times.  They also make small portable nebulizers that you can slip in your pockets so you don't always have to be stuck at home.  A lot of vehicles now made also have the plug ins for AC adapters if you need to keep a larger unit when you travel.  These are just suggestions and I'm not a doctor I am just another COPD Emphesema patient trying to make the best of my life.  I wish you well, and will say a prayer.  God bless....Breathless.

• Posted

I think you intended this comment for carwoman not michael, michael has not said he is despondent!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.