Breathing and

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is kind of a random question I feel like I'm constantly posting in here when I'm up and worrying, iv recently been diagnosed with anxiety and depression as a result of a bad batch of costochondritis or chest wall pain, does anyone else get the feeling that when they are breathing in they cannot feel there lungs filling up with air, this is a feeling iv had for awhile and it's a disgusting feeling it sometimes triggers panic attacks any help would

Be appreciated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ranger

I get problems with my rib cage and it was diagnosed with my PSA However I do not have problems with my breathing as with me it is due to inflexability with my rib cage.

How long will you need too wait before these problems clear as I am in the dark with your condition

Keep a hold

• Posted

I'm not sure as my symptoms are a little different but what I can say is regardless I'm feel anxious or panicky or am feeling ok my symptoms will come out of no where and hit me, usually I can talk myself out of it in about an hr or so by telling my self it's just the anxiety and it'll pass just give it time and I try to do anything else I can even if it's grabbing a notepad and pretending I know how to draw or turning on the tv to a program that draws me in a little or even coming onto this website and just reading I made a game of looking for replys I haven't seen yet even if they were from year or more ago anything to occupy my brain from what I'm feeling and it usually will disappear before I realize it sometimes I think about certain things that I'm interested in and think about that with I wonder how or wonder when this was made or things like that and Google search the answers, things to occupy your mind are best to get over the symptoms causing you distress

• Posted

Thanks for the tip this is fairly new to me and It sucks a lot
  • Posted

ranger i've been suffering from gad and major depression for about 8mos now and it's been a real struggle.  i chose not to medicate and shockingly i'm still able to go to work daily...not sure how i do it.  anyway, i suffered about a year with major depression and anxiety in my mid 20s...panic attacks and all and took paxil for 2 yrs which worked great.  during that time prior to paxil it felt as if i couldn't take deep breaths and had this belief from i don't know where that i had an enlarged spleen...maybe reading somewhere as many of us become hypochondriacs or develop health anxiety in the process...thinking i had mono among many other illnesses.  i'm always amazed at what the mind can do the point of reading a ruptured spleen will cause rapid heart rate so i would check my pulse daily and had an episode of extremely fast heart rate to where i couldn't control.  long story short...reading and thinking about every little symptom and sensation you feel in your body makes matters worse.  anyway, to how i'm doing now...likewise two jobs and lack of sleep excessive caffeine along with extreme mental grind of maybe getting two days off a month has put me into depression and gad.  sadly you don't notice yourself sliding into depression until physical symptoms hit.  likewise, my center chest feels tender to the touch.  at one point i noticed i couldn't take a deep breathe even to relax.  symptoms were so terrible i suffered from a light headed-off balance heavy head sensation...not dizziness but felt like i was off balance so i went in to the doctor 8mos ago and had tests done, MRI etc...only thing that cameback was slightly low vitamin D but everything else perfect yet i felt as if something was severly wrong.  i had tingling hands and feet, muscle spasm...temors at night when trying to sleep all throughout my body.  facial flushing...hot ears and neck...would check my temperature constantly...was never high.  twitching fingers etc...started to panic that i had MS, parkinson's, ALS etc...in a matter of a month which is ridiculous to be honest because so many symptoms all at once in a month time frame is highly unlikely and the advise given...take some time off from work if possible and stop all caffeine.  but, over a period of time...the daily struggle...the little task that seem daunting...some how i keep moving on from one day to the next.  now 8mos in i've grown tired of worrying...worrying about symptoms...this and i started to eat really well...started jogging despite having the off balance feeling.  forcing myself to deal with the anxiety of it all.  now...some days i look back and realize i didn't feel off balance at all.  some days i feel normal and good.  the worry does creep in but not as much.  and when it does symptoms follow.  slowly you start to realize worry...constant worry triggers it all.  i didn't make the effort to stop worrying...but after 8mos...mentally i'm just tired of it all to the point of not caring and suddenly...symptoms are lifting...i do pushups daily...starting working out on my bowflex machine.  all the usual anxiety symptoms of rubbery legs or numbness...waking up numb or coordination being off.  sweating more often in hands and wrists.  blurred vision...etc...  yet due to the exercise i'm lifting more...running longer and not tiring out....then you start to realize...if i was so sick...how could i be improving physically with weight lifting and running despite feeling terrible at times and rubbery.  anxiety and depression is brutal...BUT...with effort and forcing yourself to try and sleep and improving diet...it seems progress can be made.  i still have a ways to go...and i digressed bigtime...but what you're feeling ranger is normal.  you may ask why i didn't medicate or seek psych therapy...i wanted to recover on my own instead of bandaiding to a quick solution.  i did it in my 20s...this time around i was curious to see if i could cope and recover...so far so good...i do have setbacks but less often as of late. 

• Posted

Thank you For your reply I am trying my best to get to grips with it but it is getting to be hard even with the meds but i hope they will start to take effect soon and I can get back on the road to recovery, it's amazing how a small chest pain can develop into so much more I feel like I have lost a year of my life to these horrible conditions thank you again for your reply but and I wish you all the best in your own recovery

• Posted

ranger...i've lost 8mos to my condition.  sometimes i'll wake up out of my sleep feeling chest pain as if i'm having a heart attack.  i also get palpitations as well.  it's extremely frightening.  to make it worse for me there's a family history on my dad's side of heart attacks.  his father passed at 49...his brother at 57...my other uncle at 61 so naturally that weighs heavy on my conscience.  i've been checked out several times...heart health is outstanding according to my doctor.  it's also reassuring when i jog that my stamina is quite good and it's as if i tell myself..."you idiot if you had a bad heart could you run like this?"...likewise, i'll have a bad day to where it feels like i'm back to day 1 but as of late when that happens...i don't even have the energy to care anymore...to panic...and it seems that in itself is doing me some good.  less worry...less panic...seems to be the key.  don't give up but try not worrying for once.  yes it's frustrating if you're able focus on things you do enjoy.  luckily i have interests still that i look forward to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.