Breathing difficulty and reflux?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this but is there a definite relation between the two as I'm suffering quite badly today?

Was prescribed esomeprazole last Thursday and started them Friday morning. By Sunday afternoon I'd had the first few days in weeks of feeling able to take full breaths. As humans do, I took this for granted and had a few too many beers on Sunday night and have suffered with symptoms since.

I'm not sure what you guys get, mine presents as a tightness in the bottom of my throat, alight tightness across the top of my lungs, feeling unable to take a full breath and an irritating dry cough.

I've not been scoped or anything, but saw a private GP who diagnosed autoimmune disease, Hasimoto's and reflux disease.

Last night was pretty rough in particular. I also have afib, which I had an ablation for last year. Still experience runs of PACs now and again, and occasional palps. Last night the reflux and breathing issues really assisted my heart in becoming very irritated! Kept me up all night, as kept feeling like I'd stopped breathing and my heart kept jumping.

Do all reflux peeps suffer the same way, and anybody also have afib?

Thanks all.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I am no expert or Dr and can't comment on whether it is a medical fact that reflux and breathing issues relate. My partner suffers from both, he has no cardiac issues but has discovered after years that he is allergic to wine!! Odd I kbow but his symptoms are really bad after a drink.

Do try and make sure the bed is raised at head level a few inches and try not to drink much after 6.00pm

Very best of luck

• Posted

It could well be that the alcohol makes this much worse then. I may try spirits, in much smaller quantities in future. But I'll be off alcohol for a while now I think.

Going to look into getting a new bed soon anyway so may get one that can be raised.

Strange finding you have an allergy to something that you enjoy. Was much easier when we were young haha.

• Posted

Hi i have suffered for 20 years with stomach reflux. I wake every morning with a dry cough. My throat feels like its closing sometimes and also breathing issues. Im on lanzparazol 30mg per day x
    • Posted

Me also have the same symptoms as you its driving me crazy im afraid to take the meds cause of the side effects i dont know what else to do.
  • Posted

Hi, I would suggest you ask your doctor to arrange an endoscopy and that will give you more info
    • Posted

I am considering this. I'm concerned it's a hernia, as I know a lot of people who suffer with reflux in some form and I'm the only one that gets quite serious breathing diff.

• Posted

I been having shortness of breath and GERD rather bad. I also have allergies. Doctor put me on singulair and solved my breathing issues.
  • Posted

Hi, I can relate to all your symptoms... I’ve ben suffering for years, most recently my heart has become more and more of a issue, doctors not knowing fully and always miss diagnosing! Now I’m being told I have angina, but not confirmed but still being tested for it.. breathing is a problem for me and laying on my back or right side causes issue. I tend to sleep upright...  I’ve been getting pains in my chest and left arm,  the omeprasole I don’t think help me much if anything I feel wors..... I urge everyone to sit listen to this doctor.... so many good tips .... this will help 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I apparently don’t have afib. But I do have terrible reflux which seems to cause major issues with my heart., I’ve had many ecgs but they say there’s nothing there I’m convinced there is but I’m not the doctor I’ve had a 24 golfer monitor which they said showed pvcs but was normal... I seem to have flare ups with reflux and when I do they last a good 3 or 4 months my heart constantly flutters I feel like something is sitting on my chest and throat making it hard to breath it’s an awful feeling .. I get palpitations usually worse at night , I wake in the night sometimes gasping for air takes a while to catch my breath it’s absolutely awful 
    • Posted

Hi Natalie

I am not a dr or medic but I do know from experience that reflux can cause inflamation of the gullet, this in turn presses on the nerves in the chest that mimic the same pain as cardio issues and angina. There is a nerve called the vagus nerve too which causes a lot of unpleasant pain.

Make sure that if you are still concerned you talk to your dr and mainly don't overstress yourself over this.

All the very best.

• Posted

I’m 36 and being investigated for angina ? Could this be ? I suffer all of these symptoms and more. Life is a constant struggle 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.