Breathing problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m new to this site, so I apologize if this doesn’t fall within the rules. I’ve had a productive cough for nearly 10 months and my Dr’s are baffled on the cause. Other symptoms include sharp chest pains that come and go, what I call heavy breathing (not panting, but a slow/heavy inhale) and a cough that contains a sticky mucus that is mostly thick and white or clear in color. All of these are intermittent and can be severe to barly noticeable. 

I’ve had many tests done including: Lung function, Chest CT with contrast, throat scope, X-rays and blood work. They found a small node (7mm I believe) that was favored to be post inflammatory in one lung. I’m scheduled to have another in a 10 or so months. The scope showed evidence of GERD, but I’ve been using Zantac and Prilosec daily for over a month now without any relief. 

The longer this lunges on without a diagnoses the more I continue to worry. Anxiety certainly cannot be helping my cause at all. 

I still feel like it could be asthma, even though I passed the test. I feel like it was a pretty light day for me without many symptoms. Any insight would be great. Thanks!!!

I’ve tried many drugs, including: albuterol inhaler, Allegra D, MethtlyPREDNlsolone, Zantac, Prilosec, Singilar, nasal spray and a prescription expectorant. I feel the steroids help the most, but definitely doesn’t “fix” the issue. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do you have any problems with your home environment at all?  For instance, condensation on your windows, pets etc?  If you can’t find a medical cause then check out the environment you spend most of your time in.  If you do have a damp house you could try a de-humidifier.  Check your diet as some foods are hard to digest.  Animals can have pests on them which can cause allergies too.  Check out your line of work as that can also have hazards, cleaning products, cosmetics, you name it.  Do you swim in Chlorine?  Allergies can cause problems too.  I hope you find out what’s causing it.  I’m not suggesting any of these things are harmful but sometimes we overlook the simplest things right under our noses. Good luck

• Posted

Not much has changed at home. I do have a dog, but she was along before this all started. I work in a cubical, so nothing at work should be causing this. I do have a woodworking hobby which I’ve learned to wear a mask. Haven’t indulged in that hobby for a couple months now, so it’s safe to rule out saw dust. 
    • Posted

Well just check your dog hasn’t picked up anything that could cause you problems as a precaution.  Vet checks should take place at least once a year anyway.  You could try elevating your bed at the head end.  Have a look on line re acid reflux. All the best
    • Posted

She’s accident prone, so she gets at lest alone visit a month to the vet smile
    • Posted

I like your answer 😁

• Posted

ricky - 

IMO, your problems most likely come from acid reflux. I've had problems in the past, but the last 6 months have been awful (gastritis, esophagitis, worse asthma). There are a lot of people suffering with this.....we are not alone. Just google GERD asthma and you will see. Unfortunately the acid reducing drugs sometimes make matters worse (look that up too). When I'm done with meds I currently have, I'm going to try to control with diet, probiotics and digestive enzymes instead (already been working on diet). Look up diet advice online too....there's plenty. Low acid, no caffeine, no alcohol, nothing spicy, etc.....Best of luck to you. If you, or I find a sure cure, let's pass it on to the other.

Best Wishes,

Keith

• Posted

Thanks, Keith. My coughing has been around for quite some time and it’s definitely forced, which leads me to believe it’s not hosted in my lungs rather in my throat somewhere. I do notice acid even though I’m on these pills and they actually just increased them a bit. I’ve started watching what I eat, and just really sticking to greens for at least a week to see if that helps. I’ve also been running every morning since Sunday and I feel it’s helped a little. My lungs feel great, even when running in the cold. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.