Breathing problems a week after blood transfusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was due to have my gallbladder out and when I had my pre op bloods they flagged up with hemaglobin of 4.8, I had 3 units of bood on the 9th March and felt better after a couple of days.  Over this weekend I started to get breathless again and my heart has been racing, I am also aching, surely my hemaglobin cannot have dropped in just over a week??

I have been reffered to a hematologist who has taken more bloods and I see her on Monday.

I just wondered if this is usual?

Many thanks

Bernie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar situation. I had IV iron but am very weak. I'm glad you have an appt on Monday. Just be very careful not to fall this weekend. Better days ahead. 😉

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I'll let you know how I get on Monday...when will you be seen again as my Gastro surgeon said it wasn't right to have come back this quick, hence the hematologist?

• Posted

I see the hematologist and Gastrology this week. Oral iron causing havoc on stomach. Hope to get a second IVfusion. Think I maybe bleeding from gastric ulcer. Also 2 months out from lumbar fusion. Does anyone know if pain Med's can cause stomach bleeding?😢

• Posted

I take it you haven't had a ct scan or endoscopy then as these should show an ulcer?

Sounds like you've been through the mill...lumber fusion then anemia!

NSAID's like ibuprofen, naproxen and diclofenac can cause bleeds in the stomach.

• Posted

I don't take nsaids but I have stomach ulcers in the past. I will probably be scheduled for colonoscopy and endoscopy. It helps to talk to someone experiencing similar problems.

• Posted

I saw the hematologist today, but because I have had a transfusion all the readings mean nothing as half my blood is someone elses!!!  My hemaglobin has gone up to 9.8 basically doubled, it is still low but she was pleased with it.

Unfortunately she needs to wait until the transfusion is out of my system and I have to stop taking iron tablets so that she can then check my bloods and bone marrow to find out why me levels dropped so much.  On the plus side she said I can now have my gallbladder removed smile

I hope you get on ok with your appointments.

Bernie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.