Breathing problems, especially when laying down

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all so for just over a month now I have had breathing difficulties especially when laying down to go to sleep. Its as if theres a vibration on my left side of my body and it feels as though my heart beats fast and jumps into my throat which makes me catch my breath feeling as though I cant breathe. I also have trouble when I exhale as though its tight in throat stopping me from realeasing a whole breath. Any suggestions would be great!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

Have you tried propping up your pillows so you do not have to lay flat? Have you been checked out by your doctor?

Dawn

• Posted

Hi dawn yes I sleep on 3 pillows propped up. I also saw two drs one said just to relax and the other says maybe anxiety but I dont suffer with that. It all started when I came down with a cold and cough just before Christmas and has stayed with me since.
    • Posted

Then push for further lung testing and heart health check up. Any time symptoms last this long your doc should be questioning it. And if by chance this is anxiety, then ask for help with that, but not being able to breathe and irregular heart palpitations can cause anxiety! Sounds like they are just leaving you hanging and you are losing sleep. Make sure you are connecting the previous December cold and cough with your lingering symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Nikki

Your GP is your best bet; they may suggest you have an X-ray called an 'Echocardiogram' to rule out a more serious problem. Alternatively, you may have an Hiatus Hernia but whatever you have - take the plunge and seek expert help.

I did and was diagnosed with a Pulmonary Fibrosis - so I know what mine is and the course of action needed to overcome problems.

Getting expert advice is the only way to resolve your problem.

Kind regards - Jazztrain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.