Breathing Problems or hypoxia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recenty, I had breathing problems but I thought they were because I was not using my inhalers. So I started using them again. but they were not working, but I still used my regular one-- albuterol sulfate, and my steriod inhaler.

I also bought a oximeter, (you put it on your finger)to check on my oxygen levels, only because it might explain some of my breathing problems.

For a few weeks, my oxygen levels were go from 96 to 91, which is normal. Through the internet I learned that anything above 90 is normal.

So I thought it was odd that my oxygen level was in the 80's for about 2weeks. I had more breathing problems but didn't know why. Then on November 3, 2018, I oxygen level dropped to 77. My symptoms were I was experiencing lightheadedness, I moved very slowing, as if I had no energy. But when I arrived at my dialysis center, I was immediately put on oxygen. After 3-4 hours there, I went home and fell asleep. Around 5pm, I woke up but didn't feel like eating, but couldn't think clearly. So I tested my oxygen level with my oximeter. My oxygen level was at 77 again. I called my insurance company (I live in the US) and the doctor told me to go to a hospital immediately.

At the evaluation room at the emergency room, my blood oxygen was 91, so I was put in a wheelchair and rolled into an examining room. There my oxygen level dropped to 84. I was immediately put on oxygen. The doctors ran blood tests, an x ray was performed in the room and a catheter foley was put in my arm, so that drugs could be added, if necessary. Plus a oximeter put on my finger.

About 10 minutes later, there was a beeping sound, which meant my oxygen level dropped again, so they increased the oxygen to 2 liters.

About 1-2 hours later, the doctor told me that I had pneumonia. There was more fluid in my left lung than my right lung. I thought how could I get pneumonia again , I had it last year. I was told , lack of oxygen can cause brain damage, liver problems, and heart problems, or death. So I would suggest you get a oximeter, if you have breathing problems. Plus I have numerous other health problems which may have caused me to get pneumonia again this year. Good luck to others who might have low oxygen levels

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.