Breathing trouble

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 23 years old, I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since childhood but no physical health issues for some background information.

For the last few months When trying to breathe in it feels like I'm only getting half the oxygen I should be getting. I cant quite describe the sensation I feel when I breathe just that its not normal and doesnt feel right and I'm not inhaling as well as I used to. Almost like there's a block of some sort. I feel like theres a problrm between the airways from my nose to ny lungs. This feeling lasts all day every day till i go to sleep and I am now confined to my room as I'm too terrified to do anything or go anywhere in case I stop breathing and die.

Here are the things I've tried:

*Anxiety/Depression Medication (2 different kinds with no effect)

*Lung function/Spirometry test (Normal results)

*ENT visit with camera up nose and down throat checking the throat and vocal cords (Everything was normal)

*Blood test (all normal)

*Tried a generic allergy medication (no effect)

*Oxygen levels are always 96-100

*ECG (normal results)

I'm sure there is more but this is what I remember off the top of my head.

I do have anxiety but the root of this issue is not that. I do have some anxiety attack type things happen but that's only when I'm really struggling to breathe and the panic sets in. My doctor insists its anxiety but I'm not convinced as it feels too real. I have had breathing trouble before but its never felt anything like this.

I am very careful not to exert myself and walk extra slowly as not to get out of breath because i feel if I get out of breath then my breathing won't resume to 'normal' and whatever this problem is will worsen and I'll end up in hospital.

Any advice, ideas, etc... would be greatly appreciated of if anyone's going through the same thing

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

As I have said before and will say again even if you don't believe it

This is you ..................You may feel like you can't catch your breath, tightness in your chest, or like you're suffocating or hungry for air. Studies have shown a strong association between anxiety and respiratory symptoms, including shortness of breath. ... faster breathing (hyperventilation) chest tightness..........................

• Posted

I dont feel any of those things though I just feel like the air isnt passing through my airways as it should

• Posted

Same sort of thing, they can't write down every little symptom or description, sorry still anxiety, you have all the tests and machines don't lie.

• Posted

I feel like its a very different symptom though? Feeling like the air isnt going in as it should.? And it lasts 24/7 even when im not anxious.

• Posted

Do you have a cough at all?

What's your heart rate when you walk up the stairs?

POTS and GERD can both cause shortness of breath.

• Edited

You are not alone.

I suffer from the same exact thing. Every test in the book has been done and everything came back normal. Same thing too with my doctor they couldnt find anything to they went back to anxiety. People who don't experience this always go back to that. It's basically a cop out diagnosis. Like for me I have had anxiety in my life. Most of which was social anxiety like big crowds or other DR/Dentist visits. Anxiety does not cause these breathing symptoms all day long. I even asked my DR why it would last all day and night and he couldnt give me an answer. DO NOT let people like Reglois (douche bag) here or even your doctor bully you in to that diagnosis.

I have had this issue on and off now for 2 years and still havent found an answer. I'm sorry I can't be of any help just had say my piece after that forced diagnosis of the rude internet doctor here.

Keep fighting there is a fix somewhere.

• Edited

Thanks for the compliment !!!! Dan 1989 Yes I agree I was a little harsh with Amber and for that I am sorry I was upset at the way she was almost putting a voodoo spell on herself by going to her bedroom and refusing to move because she felt breathless, Machines don't lie, brains do. Try actually having 4 lung diseases and knowing they are slowly suffocating you, that's me but I am fighting tooth and nail to keep my self fit and my lungs working as well as possible, My brain tells me to give up, why fight but I will not listen to it determined to beat the dire prognosis that I have been given only another 6 months. Anxiety can cause serious breathing problems, serious ones

Wishing you both the best and hope you can conquer your problems

• Posted

I feel like my symptoms are quite unique though as I've searched online for anyone with the same breathing issues to mine and found no one with the same. i'm lost with what to do, i dont want to live anymore. The last few months have been the worst.

Sorry you're going through this too. Its frustrating when you dont know what it is. I hope you find some relief soon

• Posted

I do not have a solution to this but I wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have been experiencing the exact same thing everyday for 4 months so I know how you feel. I have had all the same tests you have had. It really is a scary feeling and so hard to explain. It truly does feel like something is wrong and I am not inhaling as well as I should be; it is so hard to describe the feeling. I am not panicking when it's happening, I am breathing calmly, it is just a constant feeling. It has caused panick attacks on occasion when I start to get scared of it. Drs just say it's anxiety but I know I only have anxiety because of how I feel. I couldn't find anyone with the same symptoms either so I just had to respond and let you know that I am dealing with it too. It really does feel like somethings wrong and like I am just waiting for something bad to happen. I hope you have found some relief or answers since this post is old. It really is awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.