breathing very shallow

Posted , 4 users are following.

I think I might of done a stupid thing, I've been really fed up and crying and angry so I thought stuff it and had a bottle of beer. I am now lying in bed really relaxed but my breathing seems very shallow and slow. I've only been on ven. Since Sunday after stopping cit on Saturday. Is this just a mixture of everything making me like this.

Tina.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina

Easier said than done but try to relax. Trouble with breathing is a rare side effect for those taking Venlafaxine but if you think it's getting out of control, then call 111 for advice. If you've been low then distressed on top of starting a new med then you are probably stressed out as well as everything else going on so just give yourself a few more days for the meds to take effect. If they work for you as well as they do for me, it will be worth it. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I feel too relaxed physically but my mind is still alert. Have had a couple of stressful days at work too, also getting a tooth out tomorrow. My body feels so relaxed as if it's going to stop. I just hope it's going to work for me too.
  • Posted

I was convinced they wouldn't work for me when Ifirst went on them as three other anti-depressants had either made me worse or had no effect. I had a day when I went scarlet pink and my whole body was sweating-it lasted about 20 mins but the way I can function and cope with pressures now is so much easier since I've been on it. I have my moments still but life is better than befoe because I am taking them. I really hope it works for you. I started to feel better after a week so give them a decent try if you can. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Tina

I was so much better, and recovered so quickly after starting to take Ven,  It does seem to work for so many people, so I hope it does for you, too, and very soon.

I don't think a single bottle of beer would make much difference, despite the 'avoid alcohol' warnings.  Being over- aware of your breathing may just be part of the stress response, and due to being unwell.  Bear in mind that at the best of times, most people are stressed out by the prospect of a dental extraction, and added stress at work isn't likely to help!  However, if you think that your breathing is really abnormal, then it would be sensible to ask for advice from your GP or 111.

Be kind to yourself.  Eat as well as you can, drink lots of water, and try to get some fresh air and a little exercise - it all helps.  Remember that it takes two weeks or more before the Ven. kicks in for some people, though as with Josephine (see below), I started to feel much better after about a week.  Hang in there - and hopefully you will feel heaps better soon. 

I hope it all goes well for you.

Best wishes

M smile 

• Posted

Hi Tina I don't think one bottle will harm U o no we not supposed to drink on meds I hav drunk ALOT more than one bottle in past and on a lot higher dose the mind is s v powerful thing U r already feeling anxious so it is Prob a mixture of everything try to relax mayb a hot chocolate or milk try some deep breathing anything that distracts U mayb a favourite movie or book im sure U willl b fine. Prob U been v stressed and the beer has calmed U down and wen its quiet and our head starts to do over time it can b scary. Defo spk to doctor tomorrow It Prob sounds thT way too if U been v stressed and crying all day and now U r finally calm it Prob seems diff to how U were earlier wen n the opposite state

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.