Breathlesness problems for a year as well as other symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please forgive the long post, for about a year now I started having breathing problems, it started off 3-4 x a week whilst working or walking distances. As well have chest pain on left side and bad coughing that bring up mucus. I initially had the breathing test done at the doctors and it was suggested I may have copd. ( I'm a smoker ) I was put on 2 inhalers, both of which didn't really do anything.

I went to see a respiratory consultant and under went more tests, x-rays were fine, chest CT was fine and more breathing tests , consultant says there is a restriction but not significant enough to be COPD. So he ordered further blood tests and heart scans ( still waiting on heart scan) I've been back and forward to the doctor's over the last 3 months as my symptoms have worsened significantly, my breathlessness is occuring daily 2-3x a day and laying down is a big no no as I'm constantly having to sit up to try and breath properly , going outside is starting to cause me anxiety because even walking the 5-10 min to the shop is leaving me hard to breath. I was a home care assistant and have had to stop working as it was just too much. My moods have been all over the place, aggression and depression combined. I'm not sleeping so I am perminently exsauated and the slightest thing is tiring me out.

It's worth noting I do suffer from sciatica which causes sever nerve pains in my leg, I am overweight and have been for most of my life, even though I don't actually eat alot , but having 7 kids and a job I have always been very active. I have suffered panic attacks during my life so generally used to the symptoms and signs off it.

The doctors have taken a ton of bloods off me including checking my hormone levels, only thing that has came back is possible inflammation.

I'm due an appointment at the breast clinic as I have noticed changes in my breasts, my right appears to be shrinking a bit as well as aching and (what looks to me anyway) changes in how the dark bit around my nipple looks IE it looks smaller to me, I found lumps in my armpits but doctor says it's just swollen glands and my breast is normal but referred me anyway.

I am having neck pain on one side and shoulder pain , this ontop of my breathing issues is making it impossible to sleep.

Other symptoms:

Fatigue

Confusion

Irritability

Depression episodes

Bloating

Doctor has put me on ant acids thinking it could be gerd, I've been on them 4 weeks and no changes to symptoms at all.

The doctor has basically said to me to try yoga and lose weight. And suggesting it's all just anxiety, I've drastically reduced my smoking and cut down on caffine

I know my body and something feels off, I've went from being very active and energetic to having to severely kick my own ass and push myself to do things that need to be done, I feel like I'm losing my mind right now, any advice would be helpful.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

also wanted to add that when im laying down i get a cracking in my throat like popping candy, this caues me to have to try and clear my throat. then i will get a wheezy sound until i sit up

• Posted

Hi, I am having a lot of the same symptoms as you but the doctor has said a chest infection. I am not a smoker, but I am 35 weeks pregnant and even rolling over in bed takes my breath away. I should note this is my 2and pregnancy and during my 1st I did develop clots in my lungs but I have been on blood thinning injections during this pregnancy. I am now no longer convinced I have a chest infection as it has been going on too long and my symptoms, especially breathing has gotten worse. I am to see the doctor again tomorrow. and like you I am up all night, hence this 3am reply. I'm exhausted 😦 all I can say is keep on at the doctors. breathlessness is terrifying. and can be very dangerous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.