Breathless since taking Amiodarone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am unsure of my mother’s diagnosis (she will not ask her doctors!) but she was a very fit 85-year-old who just prior to having a pacemaker fitted, in January, was able to walk two miles a day and dig her garden. I believe she may have ventricular arrhythmia as well as atrial fibrillation, but I am unsure. Her pulse was very slow and irregular prior to the pacemaker and now it’s a steady 61 beats a minute.

She has been on Amiodarone (and warfarin) since January. She soon felt unwell, with various side-effects, including swollen ankles and tremors. She also burns very easily and has to avoid sunlight. The most worrying symptom, three weeks after starting the drug, has been shortness of breath. Her GP believes she has fibrosis. Her cardiologist has said he will leave a decision up to the GP as to whether she should discontinue the drug. The GP, understandably, says the decision is up to the cardiologist. Also, she made an error when taking the loading dose in the initial two weeks and when I checked she had taken 14 pills instead of 37. She has spoken to her GP and the cardiologist, neither knows whether this will matter!

My mum is too frightened to stop the drug, even though she is unwell and breathless. Can anyone advise me please, I am so very worried. My mum was one of the fittest people I knew before being prescribed this drug.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Am have been on amiodarone for about a month and have decided i am having too many side effects. My cardiologist said to stop taking it and start Eliquis. I am worried that stopping it without tapering will be dangerous, but kind find no information about changing from one to the other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.