Breathlessness

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello there,

can breathlessness caused by anxiety have a physical impact on your ability to exercise and what does it feel like to be breathless from anxiety?

many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I find that breathless from anxiety can actually be relieved by exercise. It may feel a little awkward initially but sometimes giving yourself a genuine direction for the "fight or flight" response actually eases the physical symptoms of anxiety post exercise.
  • Posted

Yes I feel it makes it worse like cleaning the house makes it worse. I've been feeling like it all night as if someone was squeezing me round my ribs so my boyfriend gave me a foot massage and it's gone!!

After a while doing exercise it should subside but depends how much your thinking about it really you need to take your mind off it!

• Posted

Thanks for your answers, it is greatly appreciated.
  • Posted

Gotta say, exercise has been the best thing for it by far. Funny enough a few push up and squats before hopping into bed helps with the sleep. It's state of mind that cause it. Something happens to trigger it of. It's finding yourself doing something productive and doing more often helps these feelings subside. Eating healthy helps to. I use to and still do from time to time feel like I've been poisoned when I'm eating. Even to the point of breaking out in a major sweet. Regular exercise and eating healthy has made this a lot better. Doing positive and productive things help the state of mind which makes all these yuck feelings come on less. Find something you enjoy doing and do it more often. As long as it is not eating a tub of ice cream or it been none active. Try surrounding yourself with positive people, the negative ones are not helping at all. You are what you eat, you become like those you hang around etc. It's all in the mind, so we have to start making it healthier
  • Posted

I had this breathlessness and felt like I was choking and couldnt control my breathing so I stopped going to the gym because of it but go for walks now.
  • Posted

When I have anxiety I'm always feel

Out of breath sad then I try to constrate on how I'm breathing... Which makes it worse!!

Breathe in nose out through mouth.

If you do opposite I feel it makes it worse sad

Stay strong! Stop overthinking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.