Breathlessness

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm 43 and in peri menopause , I seem to be having lots of ups and downs and the minute 😔 yesterday I was happy and smiley today it's like somebody has stolen me as a person and I'm walking around like an empty shell . I'm having bouts of dizziness and breathlessness too and just wondered if anybody else suffers from these symptoms ?

Don't know what I would do without you lovely ladies , I swear some days I think I'm going crazy 🙄

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Hi Lynsey,

Yes, I have bouts of dizziness and breathlessness. More dizzy than breathless for me. But I do get both.  I've also had your experience where I feel like my normal, functioning self one day and then like I am a stranger performing the role of that normal self the next day. 

I try to isolate what I did differently one day to the next--was it a work day? Ovulation? Did I skip my vitamins? But sometimes I just have to let go and know that it is just the peri doing what it does. I try to remember that the only character to survive in Poe's "A Descent into the Maelström" was the sailor who just submitted to the whirlpool and rode it to the bottom. smile

• Posted

Your not alone I to have these I'm menapause it fighting when this happens getting all kinds of weird feelings x

• Posted

you are not alone. It started about 2 years ago for me and really had no idea what was happening to me. Then followed by panic attack which only scared me further. Then I took antidepressant for it. Which did not help me at all. This year I suffered with nausea and lost weight. But the only comfort now it that it is common and amazingly doctors will not mention it at all. I really feel angry now that I did not know this all kept thinking that I had gone crazy. This year I have had regular periods but anxiety, low mood, sweats every now and then and biggest problem nausea, vomit. Thanks to all girls who share this information giving hope to each other. So hang in there easy said then done and hopefully it will pass away and we can accept few things. thanks everyone
  • Posted

I went thorough the "empty shell" thing in October and November.  it was awful.  Thankfully it did pass.  I had very few good days in those months after that started and it was frightening for me.  I ended up with huge anxiety because of it and called up a girlfriend one morning when I thought I was just hanging by a thread.  She gave me some "Bach's Rescue Remedy" and told me about flower essenses.  I have been doing great since then, but I do take the remedies every day.  You might try looking into them.

the last few days I have been waking up really off balance, but it only lasts about an hour and then my day is great.  This perimenopause really is no fun at times, but we all go through it and get stronger for it.

I had no idea that I was in for all this  lol!  I remember saying I was looking forward to the hot flashes because I have always been such a cold person.  I think the only thing I haven't had yet it hot flashes...but I do get night sweats.

• Posted

There was an article in the daily mail newspaper recently that reported that studies showed menopause can cause breathlessness equal to smoking 20 cigarettes a day! I am constantly amazed how our doctors aren't aware of the many symptoms related to menopause that we suffer from.

Make sure you are breathing deeply and evenly, through your nose, when your spells come over you. I sometimes find myself shallow breathing through my mouth and have to stop and concentrate to breathe correctly.

Best wishes

• Posted

I'm 49 and I'm exactly the same as you been suffering for over a year. I now have been prescribed hrt which I've started to today which is not what I wanted to do but anything is better hen suffering like this.😬😬 exactly the same as what you have said I just want to be me again xx

• Posted

Thank you to all you lovely ladies that have taken their time to reply with their experiences , it's amazing how much it can put you at ease knowing you are not alone on this scary period 😃 x

• Posted

I'm exactly 1 year into menopause. 3 years ago I couldn't breathe deep....it was like I wasn't getting air all the way into my lungs. I went to the dr and she put me on advair. I still use it every day but I don't feel like it has ever helped. I'll be fine but then as soon as I start to think about my breathing I start to have trouble. Panic sets in. And we all know where we go from there.

Dizziness is horrible. I'll be standing at work and have to grab onto something. I walked 10 feet the other day and had to sit down and yelled for my husband.

We are all in this together with you. Tonight is not a good night for mesad hang in there!

• Posted

I too get dizzy and breathless occasionally.  Usually it happens when I'm at work.  I work retail and am on my feet a lot.  When it happens I feel as if I have to sit down or  pass out.  I'm usually able to take put my hand on my knees and take some deep breaths and I start feeling better. 

?I cry a lot over happy things, like beautiful rainbows, or the happy sweet ending to a love story.  It's so weird.  I catch myself doing it and I think what is wrong with me??

?Emotions are really different in this time of life.  I do find myself after many months of being in perimenopause happier with my spouse than I ever have been though and the bouts of "can't stand you" are few and far  between and that is a good thing, I think. 

?I hope your emotional ups and downs will get better in time.  Lori

• Posted

Dear lynsey

I had the breathlessness in peri, it seemed at times that after I spoke I felt it too, it was one of the many symptoms I experienced but thankfully passed in time xx

• Posted

It's crazy how very similar my symptoms are to everyone else on here. I remember the first couple of months into peri I felt that "empty shell" feeling. I was too scared to tell anyone because I thought they'd think I was crazy. I'd cry so hard in the shower over it. After feeling overwhelmed and scared I finally told my husband and mother and they both just didn't understand. I also have the dizziness really bad. It just started a week and a half ago. Also the breathlessness...its worse with anxiety of course. I sometimes get scared that I'm gonna pass out. Another woman posted about fainting. I'm super sensitive to everything I see and hear now. I had lost almost 30 pounds when this first started back in late July. Thankfully I have my appetite back. I gained about 10 pounds back so far. I've had everything from depression, anxiety, insomnia, night sweats, hot flushes, muscle twitches, dizziness, breathlessness, aching joints, breast soreness, palpitations, nausea, hair growth on my chin and nose, memory loss, brain fog, migraines, and I don't even know what else. It's so frustrating. I can be feeling ok one day and the next I'll be anxiety ridden...or even in the same day. Prayers to everyone on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.