Breathlessness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I had several clots in my left lung 9 months ago. Just in the last few weeks I've been a bit breathless again - with the feeling that I can't get a deep breath to fill my lungs. Does anyone else experience this, even after 9 months?

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I am almost 6 months into recovery and I am still breathless. I actually got better, I thought, but this last month I have felt worse than when I first got dx. I had right heart damage with the pe's. Well my bp has been 180's/120-110's for the last month. I have to see a cardiologist to flget some test done. Never had high bp before. I'm ready to walk up stairs and feel normal. I'm over the chest pain!!! Ughhhh! Hope you feel better soon.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately yes. The advice I was given was that as long as you are taking your blood thinners the PE (s) shouldn't return. Other advice given to me was if you feel terribly unwell with severe breathlesness , dizziness and passing out from it to get an ambulance immedietly, also to see your GP if any of the swelling in your leg(s) etc etc so they can check you out.

PE's can take 6 months or more, I've been told by other doctors, depending on the severity of the PE(s) up to 12 months or longer to either scar over or be taken care of naturally by our body whilst on treatment with blood thinners, some people have to take them for life, I've been informed that I have to take them for life.

Reading other peoples experiences with their PE's on here a few seem to have problems months after being diagnosed.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

Yes, happens now and then. Of all the post PE manifestations, this one has come and gone over and over. I sometime wonder if it is just my imagination - but then, when it improves and I can take a proper lung full, it just feels fantastic. 

As time goes on, gets easier to breathe deeper.

Peter

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies! Yes - I've been to a cardiologist and he's keeping an eye on my heart. They took me off the blood thinners after 3 months. It's just the breathing and tiredness that sometimes worries me.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

?Some of the newer blood thinners side effects are chest pains, cardiologists won't believe you when you tell them, they say  it's the pain caused by the PE's and not a side effect. I proved a cardiologist wrong in that side effect department. I was put on Xarelto at first and within 1-2 hours of taking it I would get severe chest pain, exactly the same pain as my angina pain, so, I swapped my morning dose to evenings, now when I did that I was getting chest pains in the evening 1-2 hours after taking Xarelto. My GP changed me over to Predaxa and, voila ..... no more chest pain 1-2 hours after taking it, the only downfall to Pradaxa is that it has to be taken twice a day compared to once a day with the Xarelto, I don't mind taking a pill twice a day if it's going to stop me from going to the  emergency department on a daily basis with moderate to severe chest pain and doctors not listening to me about it being the Xarelto being the  cause .

?Chest pain is actually listed on the consumer product information sheet as being an emergency side effect and to seek immediate medical treatment, yet doctors refute that it's  side effect.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jen!

I just asked this question today and didn't see you had already asked it.

Thanks for asking because I now know it is common to get shortness of breath after being on trastment.

So odd, because I just figured I would get progressively better.

We are on this crazy ride together.

So glad I am not alone.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up