Breathlessness - ever so scared

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. I'm a 32 yr-old male. Generally in relatively good health (I think!), but recently have started getting occasional breathlessness that can last from anywhere from half an hour to several hours. It is rather sporadic at the moment, but it is a very startling and even frightening thing. I become very scared, since it is an incredibly uncomfortable sensation and feeling that causes anxiety in one's mind, and I think perhaps it could be possible that this exasperates the breathlessness.

There doesn't seem to be any pain (at the moment) or discomfort in my chest itself, either when experiencing the breathlessness or otherwise. The best way I can think to try and explain what the experience of the breathlessness is like, is like my chest becomes heavy and I have to breathe in, and when I do breathe in, it is very awful, like I cannot do it properly. If I do it with my mouth open and try to catch an imaginary bubble of air, it's like I am never able to catch that bubble, if that makes sense. It's like the breathing is not complete/satisfied and it is uncomfortable and very scary.

I don't know what could have caused this. I do not smoke cigarettes or any tobacco products (I quit over 7 years ago), I do not drink alcohol and I do not use any recreational drugs. I am not overweight and don't have (to my knowledge) any lung condition.

I was sick at the beginning of the year, and I went for a COVID-19 test and the result was positive. I self-isolated myself for 10 days (as required by law) and until my symptoms were gone which didn't even include breathlessness (I just had headache, body aches and a dry cough). I'm well over the COVID now so it isn't anything to do with that, I wouldn't imagine?

Please, can anyone advise what could be the potential problem? I'm worrying so much over this breathlessness, it is not a very pleasant sensation at all, it's very scary.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.