Breathlessness Stopping BBs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I stopped taking 1.25mg Bisoprolol after 4 weeks due to the awful side effects. 2.5 weeks on and I feel very breathless with a heavy pressure on my chest. I am light headed and suffering from brain fog. I am hoping it is just withdrawal as described on here and I am not going to feel this way from now on. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I stopped taking my bisoprolol too, 2.5mg, due to side effects, but had to start taking them again as I was really ill. I have now got past a lot of the side effects and feel much better.
  • Posted

Sorry to report from my own perspective that I was on 1.25 Bisoprolol for just three months, though I halved my dosage because of how they gave me such bad side effects, the same as yours, they made me feel like a drunk zombie, I could no longer feel my lungs working and felt breathless.

I Have been off them now since April but I still feel as if I am on them.

I will lose my job by next March if I do not recover from what I consider to be damage to my Autonomic Nervous system caused by beta blockers but which the NHS refuse to acknowledge.

My GP gave me an asthma inhaler that doesn't work, I asked him isnt it a bit of a co-incidence I never had asthma in my life and I suddenly get it the day I started taking beta blockers. I went for a lung function test two days ago, they tested a super strong version of the asthma drug which I didn't notice any improvement.

Reading up on the AN System, I see it controls the size of the lung passages so can cause constriction and asthma like symptoms, it can cause brain for and it also regulates my heart beat. Click on the little picture at the end of my post and you will see a report from an oxygen heart beat sensor I bought that show doing the same activity, my heart beat went between 37 and 150 bpm, so obviously the system that regulates it has been damaged. The other feeling I get is a numbness in the top of the neck which is where the ANS is governed from.

• Posted

Forgot to mention I still also get extreme fatigue that I first got when on Bisorolol.
  • Posted

Personally I think you need to go back to see your Dr. I take bisoprolol plus other drugs for heart valve problems which gives me among things shortness of breath on moving and pulse rate of 110 at rest. The Bb have reduced by pulse and stopped by sob. In fact when it returned early this year my dr increased it from 1.25 to 2.5mg. /day. I know it does cause some se but they out weigh the fact I can now function and not feel exhausted and short of breath all the time.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.