Breezed through the first TKR,not so the second one.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,had Total Knee Replaced Aug 2016,had the normal pain,swelling ,sleepless nights early on.Within a fortnight walking completely unaided and driving with no pain.Gym within the month and 30 mile bike rides.

Recovery went so well,managed to get a cancellation and had the other knee replaced 10 days ago,have massive bruising,badly swollen thigh and struggling to get to 90.I am sure when bruising and swelling goes I'll recover quickly,good luck to everyone.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Its very reassuring, does the heaviness eventually go that's the main thing I am concerned is although o am building up my muscles they feel like a sack of potatoes

Jan

• Posted

hi chris160650 had my 1st one2013 april and as it whas a first time around,hell yes that describes it  well, now 2nd one happened 7th november thinking ag well got kicked by the mule once 2nd time around il will kick the mule back lol you know the i have been through it and no suprizes this tme will make sure of enough dope sleeping tablets man suitcases full i will still think of pain and will be popping stuff like i am a old junky, no i am shocked to say it does not work like that, chemicals only take you so far and physio as well sleep well i let  it happen when it happens and is glad to get a couple of ours in,i am starting to realize time to heal person to person is never the same even on yourself leg on leg not the same everything else was the same medical people anethesist yes spinal again could hear them panel beating me and having a tea chat while doing it, so nothing was out of place all the nice painblock in place for 2  days then on prescribes, now back to no 1 knee it is the same as number 2 knee in appearance only lol,  from there on it is me and lucifer playing games also trying to convince myself wtf its only in the mind ...... no it is not every one differs and has to adapt to it, i a bit of a sissy lol when it comes to pian but you can only pop so much and become a junky after knee is well what then, i hope yours wil heal quicker and get well regards danie61

• Posted

Ummmm...not so fast.  

Read more BTKR posts on the forum.  Notice that some people have not had the same recovery experience with the second knee than on the first.  Hope for the best but don't expect it.  

I hope you have a great second recovery.

• Posted

Hi Chris, You are so lucky I have heard of some people breezing through like you, I wish you all the best for the same speedy recovery with your other knee. smile

• Posted

Can identify too!

My first TKR in May 2016 breezed through- partial 10 weeks later...really struggling now with assumed to be easier recovery- in fact it feels like i havent moved much further than after week 3..

Ive just been told by physio and docs that this often happens!

Keep truckin appears to be the message!

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi everyone,update from post 15 days ago,bruises disappeared and swelling much reduce.ROM is improving daily,walking unaided,although can get tired if I over do it.

My advice,which you have probably heard,do your exercises,take your pain killers before you exercise.Make sure you are icing and elevating regularly.As soon as you can get on a stationery bike ,do so.The local gym have a wide range,most gyms have a recumbent,easier when you begin.Cycling is definitely the way forward,no impact .Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.