Bright blood in toilet 4 weeks post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy and Anterior/posterior repair 4 weeks ago. I feel I am healing as expected. I used the toilet this morning having to both urinate and have a bowel movement. There was a large amount of red blood in the toilet when I finished. I do not know where it came from and it gave me quite a scare. I have urinated several times since and there has been no blood. I am therefore inclined to think it came from the bowel movement. I do not have any unusual pain and I have not done anything strenuous. Has anyone else had this happen? I have not had blood before since my surgery. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would contact the doctor on this to be safe.
    • Posted

I was thinking that too, but being the weekend, my sugeons office is closed. I will closely monitor it and if it happens again I will go to the hospital. I feel fine and no different pain but it kinda shocked me to see it. Thought I was having my period again lol 🙈

• Posted

Hi, It could just be that the stitches are starting to come out from your posterior repair and as you pushed, the blood came away as well. If it happens again, try to figure out when you wipe, where it is coming from. A small amount of blood always looks like a lot, especially in water, try not to worry too much. Wear a pad, if you bleed at all vaginally you will be able to see where from. When you next have a bm make sure you don't strain. Are you taking stool softeners like movicol or laxido. Are you having problems going to the toilet? Just be careful for a few days, rest a lot, no lifting or standing for long periods. 

I had a few bleeds, usually followed by a stitch coming out.

If it happens again and you are still unsure, contact your doctor for advice.

Best wishes.x.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I have been trying to figure out with wiping but can't find anymore (which makes me happy lol). I haven't had any problems going to the bathroom so I will watch for a stitch smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.