Bright Light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been a long haul getting where I am today, but glad I made my choices to finally getting my Gallbladder removed.

Over the past three years I have endured numerous, painful biliary colic attacks, visits to A&E and deferred three operations, thinking my problem would just disappear. I would be poorly one minute and then feel great the next. "Why do I need the operation?".

I controlled my bouts by omitting foods/drinks that would exacerbate my problem; alas, to no avail. This problem does not go away, it just hangs in there waiting for the next attack. This could happen anytime and anywhere. Once for me 36,000 ft in the air!

It's taken all this time for me realise that by having the operation I would never have to experience biliary colic again. I have needed to be where I am today to appreciate that to live life without pain is precious, as sadly some of us have no option.

I'm now three weeks post op and just been given the green light by my Consultant. I feel fabulous, and touch wood no pain. Off course my incisions are sore and still feel bruised, but feeling so much better.

Its still early days and am taking things easy. I can eat and drink whatever I want and all thanks to my surgeon and God.

So, after all my years of suffering, there's light at the end of the tunnel.......and I don't regret having the operation. Do I wish I had the operation ages ago, No.....because I needed to take this route to appreciate what I now have.

Wishing you all well, and hope your lives are long and healthy 

Take care xx

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine, Thats great news and so nice to hear positive things. Im 6 weeks post op and really begining to feel better every day. Im still having to watch what I eat but at least I can eat whihc is a bonus from pre op smile I thanks God every day for what he has given me smile
  • Posted

Hi

I am 6 days post op and would recommend this op to anyone suffering, I feel great still sore but gets less each day xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine 

so pleased for you . 

All I can say is being now 18 months post op .. It gets better and better.. Confidence in foods and eating them .. Nerves settled .. And just enjoying food 😊😋

• Posted

After reading horror stories i was scared but again like everyone else im releaved. Im still getting alot of trapped wind feelings which hurt but they dont last long smile

onwards and upwards for us all smile xx

• Posted

Thanks  to all for your support.......as you mentioned Hannah...onwards and upwards to us all.

Happy, healthy and pain free living 😀

• Posted

Hi Elaine - I want to tell you, I do so appreciate what you wrote.  It is great to hear something positive about having this surgery.  I had mine years ago and had no problems with that surgery.  It was a welcome change after having to spend 15 days  in hospital,   following a hysterectomy some years previous.  I had a good surgeon with a good reputation  and one who had done many gallbladder surgeries.  I'd say, get it done.  It isn't worth dragging your feet and having this condition with it's ups and downs, continue to upset your entire system!
    • Posted

Hi Sally,

Thanks for your kind words 

I was extremely apprehensive about having this operation, but so glad I did. 

I also was very lucky to have a surgeon with a great reputation and one that had done this operation hundreds of times before. This gave me great comfort.

Your hysterectomy must've been painful, but hopefully you're well and fighting fit.

Thanks again, Sally. You take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.