Bright red blood in stool

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 43yr old male in generally good health. I have had issues of diarrhea over the last few months that comes and goes in waves. I have not had any weight loss and a healthy appetite. Over the last week or so ive had bouts of nausea. So finally I visited my gp today who has ordered a series of blood tests. However since then after going to the toilet i noticed bright blood at the beginning of my stool, obviously this has freaked me out and now i am waiting for the gp to call me. At first i thought this was IBS because ive had emergency visits to the bathroom after eating fried food.... If anyone has something similar i would be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Go to the Gp and ask doctors to send your stool sample to get tested a lot of the time it can be down to piles if you have blood in stool my boyfriend has been suffering with stomach and bowel problems he had no blood in stool but yellow mucous and weight loss he’s had stool tests they check for something called calprotecin if your levels are high it usually means there is inflammation in the bowel healthy persons is 50-100 my boyfriends was 475 so the doctors wanted to  do a colonoscopy that was normal he’s now had lots of different tests and they can’t find anything wrong so they are putting it down to  IBS he has pain most days and feels ill lots of wind if I was you I would go back the doctors and ask them to do a stool test and maybe a colonoscopy doctors don’t like referring patients for these colonoscopies unless your over 50 or have had bowel cancer in the family but don’t let them fob you off 
    • Posted

Hi

There’s no family history so that’s reassuring in some ways. But yes, will push for more tests. My bowel habits are all over the place, one month fine and the next erratic. 

• Posted

My boyfriend started being constipated then he was having diarrhoea feeling like he needed to go toilet then couldn’t go so he was going from one extreme to the other consultants seem to think he has ibs but he’s waiting to get a pill endoscopy to check for crohns hope you get it sorted and find out what’s causing if 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.