Bright red blood in stool, am I okay?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So over the past 3 or 4 days I have been experiencing bright red blood significantly coloring the toilet bowl water every time I pass a movement. I am not experiencing any discomfort and lately I've actually felt pretty okay .

I was diagnosed quite some years ago with having IBS which from doing some research could mean the blood is coming from me possibly having ulcerative colitis . I don't know much about UC or whether or not I need to seek medical attention.

As I said before I pass my movements easily with no discomfort. But it's scary because it's alot of blood.

lastly, I have a strong intolerance to gluten which if ingested will inevitably cause me to throw it back up but with the help of expensive digestive enzymes I bought on Amazon from the enzymedica brand, I can eat gluten and feel absolutely fine.

I currently don't have health insurance so of course I'm trying to avoid going to a doctor if my life is not being threatened. If anybody has any experience with this please feel free to post because I could use your help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bright red blood could be haemorrhoids or fissures if you are straining for a bowel movement. Alternatively, ask for a fecal calprotectin test to check for inflammation in your bowel.This may be followed by a colonoscopy if the calprotectin test comes out high. This will rule in/out UC, microscopic colitis and crohns.

• Posted

Loss of a lot of blood is a serious matter. A hospital emergency room is required to treat you even if you have no insurance. Don't wait.

• Posted

As others said, bright red blood is usually not serious, most likely a hemmorrhoid or fissure. However, the amount you described concerns me a bit. I've had bright red blood from hemorrhoids but it was not a lot of blood at all, it would just show when I wiped. If there is a significant amount of blood I would highly recommend a Dr visit just to make sure everything is normal =)

• Posted

So I usually would get blood when I wipe a few days a week but not necessarily every time. I knew that was most likely from a hemorrhoid which I wasn't really afraid of because it caused me no discomfort but it wasn't until recently that when I go to the bathroom the toilet water would look like I was a girl on her period. I'm going to give it a total of time length of one week to show Improvement and if it doesn't I'm assuming I have no choice but to go see a doctor? I mean could this be a flare up of some sort from too much gluten in a short time frame or something?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.