Bright red blood in stool (on and off), acid reflux, swollen lymph nodes, bruising. Terrified. (23F)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am 23F female, have had hormone issues (PCOS) and irregular periods for as long as I can remember. Around 10-11 stone. I work from home, so definitely do not walk as much as I should?

I've had a few symptoms that I've been very concerned of recently, wondering if anyone can help:

• bright red blood in stool and on paper (happened on 3 occasions over the last 2-3 months, one time there was a clump looking thing too, docs said it was likely haemorrhoids)
  • itchiness and discomfort, sometimes burning sensation after bowel movement
  • swollen lymph nodes in neck, very small in size, haven't gotten bigger but been there for around 3 months (not sure if even related)
  • nausea/acid reflux
  • fatigue
  • constipation
  • bruising

I am really worried as my father was diagnosed and died from bowel cancer in his 40s. I'm reading up on it, trying to convince myself it's likely due to anal fissure or haemorrhoids. The only thing that's making me think it isn't the big C is I still have my appetite & I have no pain in my stomach, there's also not really a change in my bowel movements as I feel I am always constipated. Also not sure if bright red blood is common symptom?

I also recently got diagnosed w extreme vit d deficiency & iron deficiency, which may explain fatigue/bruising? unsure.

I've sent a stool sample and swab to my doctor and I am awaiting results, but my anxiety is to another level. I feel so scared, can anyone give me some ideas to what this sounds like?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have most of those symptoms and just had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. They found one non-cancerous polyp and several small hemorrhoids. I have not actually seen the report but was told this by various people. I have an appointment at the end of the month to discuss the results, but I was already reassured it was not cancer. Even though you are young, since it runs in your family, I would still recommend you getting a colonoscopy. If they don't find anything, great and they probably will tell you to come back in 10 years. I, too have swollen lymph nodes for almost 3 months, but was never sick. I took a round of anti-biotics and they are still there. Inflammation/infection can cause swollen nodes but I had neither that I know of, yet they continue to stay swollen. They are not painful except sometimes when I turn my head certain ways. I have an appointment with the ENT at the end of the month also so hoping more testing will lead to some diagnosis so I can get treated. I can't stomach the nausea. Literally. Let me know if you found anything out and I will do the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.