Bright spots in vision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old man and for the last 6 years I've experienced shooting bright lights in my vision, often associated with certain physical stressors (fatigue, anxiety, hunger) but almost never associated with migraines, which I've also been experiencing in greater frequency the last six years, but which have completely different visual phenomena associated with them. My only long-term health conditions are a susceptibility to bad sinus infections in the winter, and persistent exhaustion and oversleeping that has been diagnosed as major depression and which I take a 150 mg daily dose of bupropion for; the visual flashes and migraines occur regardless of whether I'm using bupropion. I've been examined for sleep apnea and hormonal issues and don't seem to have either. I'm still in college, likely in part because of the persistent exhaustion, and I've increasingly become aware of having some significant memory problems that have impaired my academic performance as well. All of this increasingly leads me to believe I must have been concussed or otherwise suffered a brain injury sometime around 2012, but would that initiate the strange visual phenomena? They're extremely bright pin-points that last about a second, usually shooting across my vision or wiggling in a random walk. On rare occasions, I'll see multiple at a time; yesterday morning I hadn't eaten, and was in a brightly sunlit room, and experienced a large number of these lights in a pattern that reminded of a river's flow. Most google results for "bright lights in vision) seem to concern problems with the retina related to aging, but I'm young and have excellent vision. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What kind of food do you eat ???...how much caffeine ???
  • Posted

Hi Thomas,

I've had these for years and am not on any medication. I also get visual migraines and usually the two are seperate.

Mine started in childhood i think and i just kind of got used to them. I recently had a sight test where all was fine.

I can't tell you what they are but i definitely share the phenomenon with you.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.