Bright yellow vomit 5 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I had my gallbladder removed 5 weeks ago and after the first week I had mostly recovered. The only reoccurring symptom I had was nausea after every meal, but this only caused vomiting once. Today when I woke up I felt very nauseous and had to rush to the toilet a few times with very loose stools. Shortly after, I got very hot and vomited a bright fluorescent yellow colour liquid that tasted very bitter. This happened again about an hour ago and I suspect there is more to come. I haven't eaten any food since last night (3.50pm) now, but there was a lot of this yellow liquid, especially the second time.

I do have slight pain in the stomach and the nausea hasn't really subsided, but the vomiting was pretty violent so it could be that?

Any ideas are welcome. I'm a little hesitant to go to the ER as I am currently on holiday in a country which doesn't have great medical care and I believe my insurance wouldn't cover a visit to a private hospital. But I will head there if things get much worse. If it makes any difference I am a 22 year old male and I am in ok shape.

I know googling is the worst thing to do, but bile reflux sounds like it may fit. However I would love any thoughts or advice!

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if I can edit on mobile so apologies for the double post!

Nausea and no appetite is still persisting but no more vomiting yet. My back and leg muscles are in a lot of pain. My temperature earlier was 37.2c and has now gone to 37.9. I managed to eat a small amount of plain noodles an hour ago and have kept them down so far.

• Posted

Hi sorry your going through this could you have perhaps picked up a bug? Or you have eaten something that has disagreed with you, I have to be careful what I eat no dairy etc if you can think back to what you have eaten and then try and avoid it, sorry I'm not much help xxxx
  • Posted

Hi, Art, if the liquid is bright yellow, and extremely acidic and caustic, you may be vomiting bile acid.  Bile is normally released into the small intestine during digestion.  What I think you are experiencing is an overproduction of bile acid by your liver. If you can, stick to no fat or low fat meals, avoid anything that could further irritate your liver, such as acidic beverages, colas, orange or tomato juice, alcoholic beverages.  Eat small, frequent meals.  Then, go to E&A when you get back or see your doctor as soon as you can. Best of luck, and let us know how you do!   
  • Posted

Hello, how are you now? I have the same sympons, they started 1 month after gallbladder removal.
    • Posted

I have gallbladder surgery in late December and now vomiting yellow liquid and have hot flashes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.