Brinchiectasis and air travel

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all. I have a question in regards to air travel for people with bronchiestasis. Does anyone have breathing difficulties when flying? I don't know if it will be harder to breath when in an airplane.

Also are rescue inhalers allowed on planes?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you're in North America there's never been a problem with inhalers so long as you have the doctor's prescription with you. Ask the airline if you need more than that.

• Posted

Flying doesn't seem to affect my breathing at all. I don't use an inhaler (yet!)

• Posted

I flew to USA last year and as long as all medication, including inhalers, are in clear plastic bags with your medication list from GP, you're fine with it.

We went thru 2 lots of American security and that was fine too.

I must admit that when flying, because of air being pumped into the plane I didn't cough once while we were in the air. I actually found it easier up there for my lung.

It may not be the same for everyone, but I was fine.

• Posted

Jovis, thanks so much for your response. The info helps a lot. I didn't know what to expect with airport security and being up in a plane. I haven't flown in years and I have recently retired and want to plan some trips. Take care.

• Posted

My son diagnosed with Brionchiectasis since his 9 years old.

He has been flying to a few countries without breath problems.

Here are preparation we did for him:

- request a letter from doctor that list down all his medication to bring along with in flight.

- we were told inside the plane must give him more fluid and prevent him from any lack of hydration problem.

- we give him as comfortable as we could bring his jacket ensure he will not catch cold inside the flight.

So far he is ok and we wish you all the best and have a safe trip.

• Posted

Oh yes, how could the rest of us forget about the need for extra hydration.
  • Posted

I fly often. No difficulties but my breathing is not troubling anyway. Others can comment.

I always have a rescue inhaler in my man bag (which I rarely use as Symbicort twice a day works fine). No problems with any non-liquid legal meds in your hand/onboard or in checked-in stowed lugage. Liquids need to be less than 100ml and in a plastic bag (available when you approach security after check-in).

You are in a good place if you do have breayhing difficulties - planes carry oxygen/mask kits. Ask an inflight attendant if you are in discomfort.

Go for it!

• Posted

I have never carried prescriptions and never been challenged but probably wise if you are risk-averse.

Can't think of any regular bronkx meds tjat would trouble customs/immigration

• Posted

Wanda, I am not having trouble flying. The cabin is presurized and contains the same amount of oxyegen as a sea level. Last Novemeber I had trouble clearing my ears coming back home form my trip, becasue I caught a cold on the flight going out. I think if anything that respratory infections are our bigger threat.

At the same time I would ask you to check with your pulononlogist. I'm not sure what your O2 Saturations run a sealevel.

Best 

Russ

• Posted

Russell, you are right about respiratory infections. I worry about getting a respiratory infection and being in enclosed places with people whom maybe sick. Thanks for responding.

Are you in New Orleans?

• Posted

Hello Wanda,

Yes ,No poblem bringing on anything, I travel with my Neb and just take it out as i do my computer along with all my meds with my carry-on and carry my rescue with me in my pocket,as for breathing no problem ever, I travel to the west Indies twice a year no problem,but of course it would depend on how bad your BX is that would be the problem,but air seems to beoksy on the plane as you can also control the overhead air if need be.

Stay Well,

Charles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.