Broke ankle 11 years ago pins and plate...

Posted , 7 users are following.

So when I was 13 years old I broke, fractured and dislocated my ankle on a trampoline. Had pins and plates... Not sure how many pins as I was only 13. Anyway, I have been doing okay until about the past year or so that when wearing certain trainers that it rubs on my ankle I think maybe where a pin is and it can be painful, but I just put that down to the type of shoe I was wearing.

Anyway, fast forward to now and I seem to have some ankle pain nothing too severe that I can't walk on it but it's still annoying, and also when I move my ankle it like clicks/creaks (I don't know if that makes any sense). I have read about having the pins removed but I have general anxiety disorder and it terrifies me so much, that they will remove the pins and then I will be too scared to walk on it again. I have a 3 year old daughter who needs me to be "active" and I have type 1 diabetes.

I have put on quite a bit of weight in the last year due to certain antidepressants and having to go on steroids for atleast 3 months - so I assume that the weight gain hasn't helped my ankle either.

I would go to my GP but i don't want to waste there time and to see if i can manage to lose weight and to see if that helps.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It is pretty much common practice in Europe to remove the hardware, so I would not let the anxiety rule your choice. If it were me, I would go find a surgeon and get their opinion. I'm only two years out from surgery with all kinds of hardware in there, and my ankle still feels funky. I'm considering talking to my surgeon again too, figure out options, and if removing this hardware will make it feel better. My son was 12 when I broke mine, so I totally understand the worry of not being able to move around, but I've read stories on here and it seems they were on their feet rather quick after hardware removal.

• Posted

I will book an appointment to see my GP and go from there! I just wasn't sure if this was the "norm" or not.

• Posted

I would highly recommend you going to a doctor. You need to get a xray just to see what is going on. You need peace of mind.

• Posted

Go get the pins out.. it's like getting tooth out but without the pain. I had done couple years ago and couldn't believe they said day surgery, woke up no pain and all I had do was wait for stitches to heal. I had prob same as you plate and other foreign metal objects 🥴😁

• Posted

Ooohh, see I have had teeth out just a few months ago (under general) and had no pain haha! Having stitches out freaks me out too, I was terrible when I had them out when I broke my ankle!

• Posted

yea stitches out are the worst.. still no pain .. is no pain 🥴

• Posted

mine is due to pootts fracture back in 1987 which also had acrews but i had them removed two years later in 1999 i think it was im so sorry tou are going through what you have mine is a knock on effect from that amd 11 other operations md athritis hope you get some relief from pain soon

• Posted

Also, does anyone feel like their foot isn't as flexible as the other one? Like it feels tight if that makes sense?

• Posted

My foot feels tight. I'm almost one year post surgery for trimalleolar fracture. I will definitely consider having metal removed. I was wondering the average time someone waits to have this done?

• Posted

When I had my op I was told that they would stay in forever so this is all new to me to be honest.

• Posted

What have people used for pain relief? I've been out today walking around town and it hurts a bit now 😩

• Posted

My ankle/bottom half of my leg feels weird like heavy I can't explain it, and I can't get comfortable! Anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.