broke ankle 5 days ago and still in pain!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,  fell down stairs 5 days ago and broke my ankle had half a cast put on in a&e, 2 days ago saw Dr who said I may need surgery if it doesn't start to heal in following week, had a full cast put on and told to keep it elevated.  I just wondered if it was normal to still be in bad pain 5 days after , really bad after trips to the loo on my crutches/hopping/doing the twist with my good foot!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, yes it's normal to be in pain for the first few weeks, and be worse when your foot isn't elevated, like when you have to stand upright. It does lessen once it starts to heal, but even then you'll need to keep it elevated as much as possible. Hope you don't need surgery and start to heal soon.
    • Posted

Hi Susan thanks, not sure what to expect! Just thought it should be a little less painful after now . Pain does seem worse in early hours of morn, 😭wakes me up and I dread getting up for the loo! keep taking the paracetamol! Thankyou
    • Posted

You've got a few weeks to go before it stops being as painfully, try to keep the foot up higher than your body, especially at night. I broke a bone in my foot as well as my ankle, couldn't stand having bedding on it, thankfully I knit so made myself a large fluffy sock to keep my foot warm and kept my leg on top of the duvet.

Ask your GP for something stronger than paracetamol, I had Tramadol to take along with the paracetamol.

• Posted

Thanks, that must've been really painful how is it now?  I may take up knitting as I'm now sick of watching tv!  Got to go to clinic on Mon so if I don't need surgery I will ask for stronger painkillers.
    • Posted

Today it's 30 weeks since I did it, had to have a screw in my foot. Last x-rays were three months ago, ankle still had a crack in it but it was healing, foot hadn't healed at all, was advised to walk without crutches to promote bone growth. Been going to physio, they've helped me get almost full movement back in my ankle. Foot is still painfully, physio thinks it still hasn't healed, but I was warned when I did it that it was in an area notorious for this and that as both breaks went straight through the joints I would probably develop arthritis. In fact the surgeons first words to me were you did a good job on yourself. At least I can get around on my own feet now, even if I do limp.

I knit and crochet, it kept me from going nuts, concentrating on the pattern took my mind off the pain, but knit something simple if your taking strong painkillers, trying to concentrate after taking them is impossible.

• Posted

Wow, that's been a while! Since last Feb? You must've been through a lot of pain (and a lot of knitting and crocheting by the sounds of it!) Hope they both heal properly soon. How did you break yours?
    • Posted

I have a trapped nerve in my leg, sometimes as I go to walk forward the leg gives out, normally I just sit down suddenly, but I was going down a step outside. Knew I'd broken something as I heard the crack, typically no neighbours were in, thankfully I had my phone in my pocket. Hubby thought I'd sprained it, so did the Dr in A&E, should have seen their faces when x-ray showed fractured ankle. Went to fracture clinic next day for full cast, consultant took one look and sent me for more x-rays on the foot, couldn't believe it when they said I'd broken that too. Following week the consultant said that fracture had opened up and he wanted me to see a surgeon, surgeon told me straight it wouldn't heal without a screw in it, and he couldn't guarantee it would heal with one, but even if it didn't at least it would be stable with the screw in.

Due back in clinic next Tuesday to see how it's gone. I look after my Grandchildren normally, but at least my timing was great as both daughters have been on maternity leave and are due to go back to work next month. Had both babies and the toddler for a couple of hours yesterday, my house looked like a bomb had hit it.

• Posted

Yes,  not nice when you hear that dreaded cracking sound I'm still having nightmares/cold sweats about falling downstairs!!. Looks like you've got your hands full now looking after your grandchildren, we have 14yr old daughter she has been helping out ( in between painting her nails etc!!!)   Hope everything goes ok for you on Tuesday.
    • Posted

Sounds like you're a lot younger than me, I'm 55, my eldest Grandchild is 16 the youngest is nearly six months with another (no 6) on the way. My GP told me if I'd fractured the ankle higher up, it would have been better, but that feels loads better even if it does still swell up. Ah well fingers crossed the next x-rays show an improvement.
    • Posted

No, I'm 49 - I was an 'older mum'!  (you were a young grandmother!!!)  I think I have broken my fibular?? not sure, and there was quite a gap on the first x Ray, then when they put the first cast on they pressed my foot upwards to reduce gap.  After another x Ray the gap was a bit smaller (according to my husband , I didn't really take it all in,  a bit queasy!) 
    • Posted

If it's the outside of your ankle then it's your fibula, if it breaks at the end (ankle) then it's referred to as a Lateral malleolus fracture, that's what I had.

The surgeon who did my foot said they like to leave stable fractures to heal on their own, so as long as it doesn't move and starts to show some sign of recovery they'll leave it alone. The one good thing about having surgery is they use a nerve block, first time every I've woken up from surgery in no pain whatsoever, what's more it lasted till the next morning. Haven't had a good nights sleep since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.