Broke long screws in ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

So ibroke the long screws holding both my tib and fib together. Doc said outs normal. I'm in a huge amount of pain. I Ann scheduled for surgery on tuesday next week. Back in boot for time being. Boot for two weeks after. So frustrated right now. This had been going on since March. Uggh.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

OMG how on earth did you break those screws?XXXX. I only have 7 small screws and 1 BIG one holding tib and fib in place and still in real pain 8 months after accident on Feb 1st.

Seriously, how on earth did you break the screws XXXXXXXXXX

• Posted

Whoa! How in the heck did you do that?

I had two complete breaks of my tibia/fibula. 

I have I rod, two clamps, and 15 screws. 

My fall was in March of this year. 

I'm finally able to walk somewhat normally with a cane. Still have a ways to go. 

My heart goes out to you. 

• Posted

HiI also broke the two long screws in my ankle . ( broke my ankle April 2016) Doctor removed the part of the screws that were not imbedded in the bones. December 2016 I had to have reconstructive surgery on my ankle. Was good for a while but now is extremely painful again. Especially after a day at work 
  • Posted

I have two long screws too.  Plus plates and a bunch of tiny screws in fibula.  And anchor with deltoid ligament damage repair after an ankle break on June 2 2017.  My surgeon told me it is very common for the long screws to break on their own and not to fret if that happens.  He said it's a wait-and-see whether to take them out but purposely puts super long ones in so if they do break on their own, he'll be able to get the screws out from either side.  Even he said not to take them out too soon.    I swear one of mine broke this week.  I heard a pop and my ankle had been so sore and achey.  See my surgeon tomorrow and praying he'll say ok to take them out.  Last visit he told me if I get them out, it will likely help with tightness.  Told me it's easy surgery.  Usually after four months, ok to get them out if they are causing issues.  Will have to start PT again but to a much lesser extent.  Keep you posted.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.