Broke my ankle 12 weeks ago.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I found these conversations very helpful and I now know my experience is more or less normal!

It all started when I tripped over our blind dog and fell.  My ankle was on a 90 degree angle!  Not only was my ankle dislocated but also it was broken in 3 places.  So I had surgery complete with 2 large screws and a plate with 7 small screws.  I was no weight bearing for 6 weeks and then partial weight bearing for 4 weeks.  Weeks 1 and 2 were in a plaster splint.  I immediately rented a knee scooter which was a god send.  After 2 weeks I was put in a fiberglass cast.  After 4 more weeks I was put in the air cast boot.  Then another 4 weeks I was finally weight bearing.  Prior to weight bearing I had no pain or swelling.  I am not at 12 weeks and have been weight bearing in the boot for 2 weeks.  I find I have aching and swelling when the leg is not elevated.  The swelling is always present.  I start physical therapy tomorrow and am to start walking without the boot in 1 more week.  This is a very long discouraging process.  Prior to my break I was playing golf 5 times a week.  My entire body has seemingly fallen apart.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I sympathise with u carol I was my dads carer 7 days a week 8 am till 7 pm but have been non weight bearing for 12 weeks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.