Broke my ankle from a drunk driver hitting me

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi folks, I broke my ankle April 22 due to a drunk driver hitting me head on. I'm still non weight bearing and in a boot. I see my surgeon in 2 wks and hope to get my walking boot. I'm wondering once I get my walking boot do I have to sleep in it? I hope not! I still have an open wound and nerve pain so I'm not sure when pt will start. Looking forward to it though. I am currently starting ankle pumps per surgeons request. I know he's going to do pool therapy which will be nice. Thanks for any info.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

So sorry for that ruthless accident. I did not sleep in my boot. Kept foot propped up on 2-3 pillows and no sheets or weight on it. Slipped it back on to get up though. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Oh thank god! I can't wait to get out of this first boot! Thanks for responding!

• Posted

Hi Diana

So sorry, to hear about your accident. Drunk drivers should never be driving!!! I hope that justice be done for you !!! You stated you have a open wound.

Is it a spot on your incision, that's open? I thank you for your time and a reply if you would be so kind to share your experience.

Thanks again Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronica, my open wound was caused from a blood blister that formed from my original dressing. That dressing was full of dry blood from the surgery. Once the dressing came off I started treating the wound with antibiotic cream and a dressing. Changed it once a day. A scab started to from but the surgeon didn't like the look of it because it was looking a little discolored so he took the scab off and now it's looking better as it heals. Now I change it twice a day and let air also get at it. I too hope justice is served! He's been out of jail awaiting his court hearing so we shall see! Thanks for responding!

• Posted

I had to sleep in my boot and couldn't take it off to shower either for three long months! I'm so sorry about your accident I hope the driver get punished in the courts and loses his/ her licence. You get used to the boot and if you have nerve pain it can protect it a bit. Yes keep those toes and foot moving it helps desensitize the nerves.

Good luck on your recovery!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Diane.  So sorry about the accident, what a horrible thing to have happen.  I hope the broken ankle is the worst injury you had.  You know that it will eventually heal.  As for the drunken driver who caused this . . . there is no cure for stupidity. 

I didn't have a broken ankle, I shredded my peroneal tendon so had repair surgery.  I had the cast and eventually a boot.  Non-weight-bearing in the cast but when I got the boot I was able to start walking.  I did not have to wear the boot at night but had to keep my ankle propped up all night.  And I could take the boot off for a shower but had to be very careful. I had to wear the boot anytime I walked anywhere. I was so happy about having the boot off at night, the first few nights I went to bed at 7:30 p.m.!  Pure heaven.

Good luck to you.  Hope the drunk gets what's due to him. 

• Posted

Thank you! Yes I'm very grateful that the ankle was the worse injury! Healing slowly but healing!

• Posted

Diana

Thanks for replying back. You are so brave!

And you are going to recover soon, hang in there!!!

It is so ashame that drunk driver can get out of jail so fast and be back on the streets again! The law should be ashame of letting them out so easy.

Justice needs to be served!!!! Keep us posted

of your inprovement. Our hats, are off to you in getting well soon!!! Keep up your positive mind set.

Thanks again, Veronica

• Posted

Hi Diane what a nightmare for you, why these iresponsible people drink & drive I never know 😡

I didnt have a boot, myself but other posts have said you can remove them for bed!

Hope you will soon be on the mend hun x

• Posted

Hi I broke mine march 24. Had cast until staples. Tried boot but I also had nerve damage and the boot placed agonising pressure in wound si I've had nothing day or night. Sleeping with nerve pain proved difficult trying to keep anything making contact was hard but has improves a lot. The taser pain is now only occasional which is great an my family and friends thought I was developing Tourette's. The sapping pain triggered so colourful language  a lot don't sleep with boot it's whatever your surgeon suggests. 

• Posted

My brother lost his leg to a drunk driver broke both arms ribs skull fracture,he's business had to close and he will never work again. The drunk never spent 1day in prison. His age and first offence got him a good behaviour bond and 6 months loss of licence. It's a joke. He ruined a life. 

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

Awful! Just awful! That drunk needs no vehicle and no license. Your brother's suffering is so horribly senseless! Prayers to him and you. Yvonne.

• Posted

Omg jenni I'm so so very sorry to hear about your brother! I can only hope that he and your family find strength and peace to move forward in life!!! Many blessings and even more love to you all!!!

• Posted

OMG Jenni, Im so sorry to hear that, I cannot imagine how your Brother must be feeling & always will 😡😡

No justice was done for him either, which this senseless idiot ( I would like to put it differently) has got away with ruining your poor brothers life!

I hope he, you & your family find the strength you need to come to terms with the awful circumstances that you have all gone through, love , best wishes & good luck to you All xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.