Broke-Tibia and Fibula-Underwent Surgery but have no cast

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi , I broke my shin bone Tibia and Fibula both in an accident 

and Underwent ORIF surgery - with a rod inside my leg -- I have no cast .

Do'nt i need a cast at alll..

8 Weeks After i see my X Ray. my bones are still not aligned

Doctor said I dont need to worry at all as I have rod.

My question is Would my broken tibia fibula , get align at all or be in disorder as I have no cast at all..

Please suggest 

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi naveenb!

I broke my tibia n fibula too when I played frisbee last April. I had rods on my leg and it was better than cast as my dic said. After 6 weeks I had seen on my xray that it wasnt aligned yet or callus was so thin. But when I asked my surgeon it was aligned. The broken bone will melt and remolded and it will take months depending on our age. I was down at that time but he said not to worry because it will gradually heal. You just have to eat more as our bones need nutrients to recover and heal naturally. That is what I did. I just had my xray yesterday and my bones are doing well. It was exactly 14 weeks since I had this implants on my leg and no cast. Im so happy to hear that my rods will be removed this coming Saturday. I will let my leg rest for a week to heal pin site wounds and have my leg placed with fiber glass cast for a month and hopefully i will walk normally again..

It was a long struggle but I know I can surpass it all.

• Posted

I had the same surgery June 16 and was put in a splint for a few weeks and then was put in a boot two weeks ago.
  • Posted

I'm 6 weeks with rod inside my tibia and x-ray show broken bone still healing slow. Doctor said she isn't surprised at all it will take very long time. Also said I can start putting weight since I have a rod.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.