Broken 2nd, 3rd and 4th Metatarsal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, firstly if you’re reading this I’m sorry, it’s an annoying and debilitating injury due to it’s limiting nature.

I thought I would write something about this (highly out of character), as when I did it (in an effort to find some comfort and provide my rugby club with information as to when I would be fit again) I searched the internet for all the articles I could, and it was in this minefield that I encountered, from miracle healers to those reoccurring 2 year problems, and as such my mind was boggled. Doctors also provide some guidelines on what is normal to be off crutches but after that recovery rates varied due to ages and previous physical nature of the participants, so whilst this is by no means a complete list, it may offer some help to those who are physical active and still relatively young (sorry).

So to give you my information, I am 25 y/o, male, play rugby to a reasonable standard, cycle 100km plus a week, as well as gyming or some kind of training most days (so needless to say I normally tick the extremely active box).

Previously I had not had any injuries to my feet, and it was just a freak occurrence due to the weight of several men going through it whilst being tackled, the break was fortunate enough to be closed fractures, but still it bloody hurt.

I did this on the 24th January 2016, and was in a soft shell boot for four weeks, at week two I got back in the gym but was very limited on what I could do - machines only (free weights were impossible as I could not lift these without putting pressure through my foot). At the beginning of week 5 I got rid of the boot yet continued using crutches for another 2 weeks. At the start of week 7 I could finally walk again (albeit with a heavy limp), however I did manage to get back on my bike (solid sole - clip in shoes), at the start of week 8 I was squatting with light weight, walking with a slight limp, though many gym exercises were still difficult, at the start of week 9, most gym exercises were becoming easier and getting more weight on them, in week 10 I decided I was close to being able to jog - not the case and got quite a bit of pain going through it, however I am confident my foots resistance will build up over the week.

Anyway I thought I’d write this now, as once I am fit again I will forget all about the injury, and so probably would not write this and be of any help to anyone. So it will get better, just it does take time, finally over the last few days I looked up more information on general bone healing; this states around 3-4months and I believe this to be more accurate for these recoveries than anything I read on forums.

Good luck.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story. 52 year old, 10 week post op postie still suffering and unable to walk. Told 6 to 8 weeks recovery???? Phaffffffff
  • Posted

Broke my 2nd, 3rd, 4th Metatarsal, cuboid, cuneiform and tore my Lisfranc ligament while exiting large surf and my foot was crushed and twisted in the shoreline rocks . 8 weeks in a NWB cast and only a few days out of it. PT starts in two days but I was given a few exersices by my doc. I have been streching, massaging and doing limited strength training ankle exercises. Walking on it is very painful and I am continueing with my crutches and knee scooter for now.

Really glad to have found this site as I was not given much info on recovery after the cast or the pain and swelling that I now am going through. Glad to share with others and not feeling so alone with my suffering

• Posted

Hi surfergirl. It seems that a lot of us have been given false or no information vregarding recovery process. It is very frightening and you do bthink you are all alone. Thank god for this sight so that we can offer support and experiences. Foot injuries or surgeries are a lengthy recovery. If I had known that I would not have had my op. I thought I would be out of action for about 6 weeks, here I am 10 weeks later and still can't walk.
    • Posted

Pauline, yes, this site has helped me alot and I wish you a speedy recovery. I don't know your curcumstances but sounds like you had elective surgery that is not healing. Sorry bout that.

• Posted

Thanks for the comment Surfergirl. I had 2 toes broken and straightened and a bunion removed from my little toe. I had to have the op as the two twisted toes were almost completely turned and would have created problems walking ( I am a postie). My surgeon predicts a full recovery, was just very wrong with the timescale. Had meeting with my boss today can't he was sympathetic do that's can relief. Best of luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.