broken 5th metatarsal bone

Posted , 2 users are following.

hey all ..have broken the 5th metatarsal bone in my foot. was just feeling really positive.. have 6 weeks non weight bearing and foot is in a pot..am on my 6th day and was doing well but I've bloody just fallen over and bent my little toe back. there was a bit of a gap between the bone as it was .. can I have any advice on whether I may have just completely ruined work done so far or even made it worse?! thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is a duplicate post.  My reply to the 1st was to see your doctor and have an xray.  I also had a 5th metatarsal break.  It was a Jones fracture.  After my NWB cast was removed I was to go into a weight bearing cast BUT I was doing very well and was put into a high heavy boot.  (I have no idea what a pot is)  I had to wear the high boot 24 hours a day.  I was not allowed to take it off even to sleep at night.  I was NOT to put any weight on my foot without the boot.  Perhaps your 5th break was closer to the toes and not your ankle.  If you decide not to see your doctor you should at least call his/her office and get real medical advice.  
    • Posted

Hi! Thank you for the reply. my break is down the longer thin bone. a pot is just another name for a cast I think.. I used to live in the south and now live in the north I think it's just their word for it!

I have my first fracture clinic appointment on Monday so think I will need to wait u til.

• Posted

sorry that sent by accident... think I will have to wait until then just was so upset I might have messed any healing already done up so was wondering if anyone had had the same experience.. im alsonnon weight bearing at the mo.. 6 weeks at least eek... hope yours is all better now!
  • Posted

Okay, I guess I understand, but maybe not.  Did you fall just 6 days after breaking your foot and having a NWB cast put on?  The good thing is that you will be seen at the fracture clinic very soon and will probably have the cast removed, foot X rayed, and find out what is in store for you to continue/complete your healing.  My NWB cast was removed at 4 weeks and then I was put into a high boot that I had to wear 24 hrs. everyday.  It was going to be a weight bearing cast for another 4 weeks but I was doing so well they allowed me the high boot.  I saw my X ray and all was explained to me.  You may want to see your X ray too.  As I recall in my cast all I could do was wiggle my toes and the cast was slightly longer under my foot than on top.  My toes were visible and I guess I could have caught my little toe on something if I fell and bent it back.  I don't think that would have damaged any healing of my 5th metatarsal because of the joint that separates the toe from the foot metatarsals.  It probably hurt like CRAZY.  Good luck with your checkup.  Keep us updated.  BTW I'm in the US so medical procedures could be different.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.