Broken 5th metatarsal..need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have broken my 5th metatarsal bone in 2 spots close together, it was not displaced but if it shifts its a whole chunk of bone. In emergency i had xrays and was told its a bad break that does not usually heal,properly and that i need surgery. I went 4 days later to fracture clinic and they said th3y want to call it a "jones fracture" but that because its broke completly in 2 places its tricky. The previous xray showed luckily it was not displaced and i kept the air cast and told to go back for xray in 4 weeks. One dr said to basically not to move and non weight bearing and another said i can use my heal. The goal is to not let the bone shift and hopefully avoid surgery. They left me very confused. Its been almost 2 weeks and i get pain off and on. When i elevate my foot the pain stops and as soon as i would begin to lower it i get very sharp burning like pressure on top of my foot around the break. It gets swollen after i crutch around for even just going across the street to corner store but it relaxes when i lay down and elevate. Since this pa8n has been happening its now swelling more on top at the break but its hard and very tender..sometimews hot and red but it calms down. I do not do much but i have 2 kids, one which has a lot of medical issues and actually was ambulanced to childrens hospital the day after i broke it. Im completely on my own and my son has a ton of upcoming appointments which is travelling an hour away on a cpl busses and through a busy train station..jist a lot of walking and all i have are crutches. I guess my questions are..am I doing too much and making it more likely for the bone to shift..has anyone experienced a non displaced break and then have it shift and need surgery? Is there a way to tell myself if ive shifted the bone? Has anyone experienced the same kind of pain?? I read this is one of the hardest and longest fractures to heal but all the info is sooo different from everyone im confused. Im so scared of surgery as i know some people take up to a year to heal. Any help or info from others who experienced this type of brake would be so appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.