Broken 5th metatarsal slightly displaced:(

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been reading this thread for awhile now and I've decided to seek some advice!

So 4 weeks ago on September 1st I broke my 5th metatarsal, it was slightly displaced and right away my doctor said no weight bearing for 8 weeks, put me in a hard cast and crutches. Then at my follow up appointment 2 weeks in my doctor began to say I may be able to start weight bearing at 4 weeks and seemed pretty positive about it so therefore I started to look forward to it. Yesterday was my 4 week appointment and my doctor walked in and acted like I wouldn't be able to start weight bearing yet before even looking at my X-rays or my foot. (Weird). He examined them and decided I need to wait at least another two weeks and told me I'm not healing as quickly as I should be. Which was very concerning and then he walked out without any questions answered. At this point I'm frustrated and confused. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I've been basically on bed rest for the past 4 weeks and have not weight bared at all) has this occurred to anyone else ? Not healing as quickly as you should be? Does it sound like BS? Should I see another doctor ?

Thank you I'm advanced to anyone who answers, this has been the longest 4 weeks of my life!

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I broke my 5 metatarsal in April I was 10 weeks in airboot nonweight bearing then 2weeks some weight walking with cruches. I am still not walking properly I have a slight limp .I go to phisio every week these bones are harder to heal but eventually they will everyone is different
    • Posted

Ugh 10 weeks non WB ! And still limping sad so sorry. I know I'm trying to think that soon enough I'll heal but it's hard when you're living through it!

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I broke my metatarsal originally in October but it wasn't picked up until the December. I was in a boot until February! I then had to have an operation in April then again in June. I am still in a hospital boot and awaiting more procedures. I would definitely ask for a second opinion. I wish I had! Hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

Oh no ! That's rough ! Getting a second opinion never hurts. I'm so sorry for what you're going through and wish you the best of luck!

• Posted

Sarah,

I would call your doctors office and ask for more information. Ask him why he thinks your bone isn't healing. It's your right to ask questions.

• Posted

Sarah

I'm 62 year's I broke my 5th metatarsal on 17th April I was 10 weeks in airboot nonweight bearing 24hour a day when I went to the orthopaedic Dr he said it could take 6 week's 6 month or may not heal .I am healed but still walking with slight limp. I go to phisio every week as my ankle stiffened in the boot every one is different age circulation bone health all make a difference.do everything you are told doctors can't say how long it will take but the bone hast heal so far before you can put weight on it .then walking a little stimulate it to finish healing.good luck let us know how you are getting on.

• Posted

Sarah, how are you today?

For me today is 3 weeks and 5 days and I had my first visit with my orthopaedic consultants, physiotherapist.  Both told me decisions are not solely made by the X-ray alone.  On mine you can see the negative shadow showing the break with a little fuzzyness over it. This they say shows it is making new bone and is a soft callous. I got much better information today on what you can and cannot do with this break. Wiggle your toes.  Stretch your toes pointing like a ballerina. Flex the toes back towards you and you can sweep your foot left and right like a windscreen wiper to keep mobility in the foot and ankle.  What you cannot do is vigorously/forcefully evert your foot, engaging the tendon and ligament running down the side of your calf, this is the important piece of info in order not to pull the bones apart. (google what it means to evert your foot see exactly what it involves and then avoid doing it)

In my physio session, I walked starting with heel and rolled through the arch grasping the floor with my toes and pushing off.  This is to walk without a limp. Next I did calf raises from flat feet lifting on to tip toes and balancing on tip toe of the broken foot. I did calf stretches and lunges and squats. Used all the equipment in the hospital gym, leg press with each individual leg, knee extension and hamstring curl.  Cycled a stationary bike for 10 minutes seated and then the best, running on an anti-gravity treadmill where you can run with your usual gait but your weight is supported by air so I only had 40% of my weight on my feet, feels like running on air.

All of this was pain free but everytime we moved on to the exercise she asked what was my pain level, it was zero but she said it must never go above 2 out of 10 and basically that is the decider as to how much I can do. I cannot run outdoors or on a regular treadmill only on the anti-gravity one, I cannot ride my road bike. I cannot hill climb out of the saddle on a stationary bike or clip out my cycling shoes because I need to twist tmy foot to unclip and I cannot evert the foot which means put a theraband around it and engage the ligament running through my calf.  All of the above exercises should do every other day, until my next appointment next week.

I'm 60yrs old and a masters endurance athlete, cycling, running, triathlon.  Apparently being healthy and fit, eating the right diet, exercising to provide a good circulation all aid recovery.  We are all different in the timing of our healing and recovery.  Good luck, hope you heal soon x 

• Posted

Hi Jac

Thanks so much for all of this info ! Much appreciated! Today I am doing much better because I saw a second doctor who is an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I could start to weight bare! He said my last doctor was being too cautious and said the X-rays don't show how quickly you're actually healing. He examined my foot and tapped it to see if I felt any pain which I did not. Therefore he told me I can walk in the boot for the next 4 weeks and then come back to see him. The only issue is that my food and leg feel like jello and it is very hard to walk. I'm nervous and it just feels weird. I'm using the crutches still and lightly putting my foot on the ground. He told me to WB as much as I can until it's too painful, he said my body will tell me. I can't believe you're able to do all of those exercises ! It gives me hope. He also told me I will probably not need to see a physical therapist.

• Posted

Sarah, I'm so delighted for you, progress at last, just what you need to spur you on.

I'm sure you can probably walk on your heel and not feel any pain at all right now.  That was my starting point but I only kept the boot until week 3.  In fact often I didn't wear the boot at home because I wanted to keep my joints flexible.  Remember the pain scale 2 out of 10 and be brave.  WB helps build bone and my Drs agree that sometimes you are way further ahead in your healing than the x-ray shows. It's only a tool for guidance.

Go girl, next time tell me you are walking in that boot smile

• Posted

Jac,

I'm six weeks since surgery to fix the broken 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals in my left foot. I'm still in a cast for two more weeks NWB. Your posts have given me hope that there's light at he end of the tunnel! I just turned 50 in June and thus far I'm not happy but I know it will get better. Thanks again for sharing your story!

• Posted

Hi Sarah

i am interested in your thread because I have a brand new (2 days ago) injury, 5th metatarsal, as the result of a fall. I'm a fit 59 year old from Australia (recently back from walking part of the Camino in France). I was put in a moon (cam) boot and crutches. I have an hour plus commute via train to work daily and am wondering how I'm going to do this (have just bought the elbow crutches as they seem easier). I am travelling to the States and Mexico in 4 weeks, for my son's wedding, and have a lot going on. When I was at the hospital I explained this and asked how long recovery would take and they indicated that once I see the orthopaedic ward (in 5 days time) they will look at it and determine if I need surgery, although they thought it unlikely, and I could be good in 4 weeks when I travel. And that how well I recover will depend on how quickly I can weight bear, so I have been weight bearing as much as I can with my moon boot, and generally with the help of crutches. Reading these comments make me wonder if I should instead be resting and elevating it more, and how I will manage that once I return to work, which I plan to on Tuesday (in 3 days, which is 5 days post injury). I am trying to speed up recovery, but can anyone say that I'm going about it the wrong way.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this happened to you I feel your pain, I was supposed to be commuting to Brooklyn for this semester of college but decided to take a semester off because I was told 8 weeks non WB. It's hard to answer your question because every break is different. Mine was a worse break because my ligament was involved and if I WB I could have displaced my fracture even more. If yours wasn't displaced I don't think you should worry too much. I have just started to WB on Tuesday and it's been pretty difficult, I still have to use both crutches and I'm not sure when I'll be able to walk without them. I would wait until you see your orthopedic surgeon to make any decisions. They also tell you in the beginning you may need surgery so you can prepare for the worst, it is possible but hopefully not very likely. Good luck !

• Posted

Thanks Sarah

I'm sure you're right I'm just so impatient.and really don't know how I'm going to go getting to work. I appreciate your response and wish you a speedier recovery than you thought.

• Posted

So, I was told last week (7 days post injury) that I need to be nwb for 6 weeks - in a moon boot and crutches. Later that same day I found out I had torn tendons and inflamed bursitis in my shoulder, so the crutches aren't doing well. I'm now working from home, which is good but mobility remained an issue. I ordered and had delivered a hairdressing stool, which I use to scoot around the house - I am finding this a blessing. I am traveling from Australia to the States in 2&1/2 weeks, so at that time I will need to lose the stool. I am really hoping I can be crutches-free (but it will only be 4 weeks post break). When I read other comments it is alarming that most people have such long recoveries. Not sure if I am being realistic or not, but I do hope to be able to post some good news in a couple of weeks, which would also give hope for a more speedy recovery to others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.