broken ankel

Posted , 6 users are following.

would love to know if anyone is expierancing the same worries as i am. I am week 3 after ankle surgery ad due to get my cast off in three weeks time. My mine goes into over load worrying about the different niggles and pains im getting on a daily basis. Some days I hardly get pain just discomfort, but other days the pain can be bad, then my mind works overtime, worrying something isnt right. Has anyone been able to feel the plate or pins in thier ankle while still in the cast? Its the most horrid feeling ever and dont know if its right or something is wrong. still get a lot of dicolouration once my foot is lowered, and tingling most days which Im hoping its just everything fusing and getting better. Had my cast and stitches removed a week  ago and told my consultant about it and he wasnt concerned and told me that it was healing well. But didnt mention about the feeling i get with the plate. I go back in 3 weeks for removal of cast then hopfully a boot and some light wieght baring. Anyone else have this feeling where you can feel the plate or pins?  one bored worried sorry for myself patient frown

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I get my cast off in 2 weeks the discolouring in your foot and toes are perfectly normal and will probably continue for months after until the ankle and foot heals.

I must admit I can't feel my pins or plates but I don't think I've got any feeling in my ankle. However I do get shooting pains like electric shocks quite often and think that is just the nerves healing.

Maybe mention it to physio when you see them next

• Posted

Oh Sandra. Welcome to the club! You are amongst friends. I am 9 was post op and as I read your story, I remember feeling exactly as you're feeling now. 

Everything you've written is quite normal. Painful days. Exhausting days. Good days. Getting used to the new armor. Boredom. 

Your body is working hard to heal and restore. Sometimes it felt like someone just randomly stabbed me in the ankle. Ugh! Just nerves reconnecting. Use those pain meds! Rest. There is no escaping the boredom. Breathe into it. Cry when you need to. Come to this forum and vent. 

The metal in your leg. This is something I was just sharing with my daughter this morning. The healthier my leg gets, the more I can feel the two clamps, tibia rod, and several screws. I'm 56 so they will not remove them. It's upsetting at times. I feel like the Bionic woman. I told her I was going to have to make friends with my new leg armor but I haven't. The clamp on my left ankle will keep me from ever crossing my legs comfortably. I sometimes "panic" and have to deep breathe thru it. 

This particular injury really effects lives more than I ever conceived but...you get thru it!

im writing to you from my beach campsite. I've come a long way. You will too. You have lots of people here to help. 

Ice

Elevate

Medicate

Patience

Wishing you well,

Karen

😀🌻😀🌻😀🌻😀

• Posted

Thank you Karen. This has helped with my worries about feeling the plates n pins. I'm 60 and feel 80 every once of me is aching from the hoping to and from bed to bathroom. Just thought things would ease off a bit since the op but seems to of got worse on days? Had my foot down for few hours yesterday as I had my first day out at a funeral and couldn't wait to get back to my bed, so maybe it's that giving me trouble today ad its been the worst ever? I do try to cut down on the amount of meds as they bung me up!! If it's not one thing it's another, can't win. But the meds will be going back up if this keeps up. Enjoy your beach. That's one thing I can't wait to see and hear is the sea.... Greatest sound ever

• Posted

Yes all those pains are normal! As far as the plate and screws, you will find out when you weight bear if they really bother you , you can have them removed. My plate is being taken out on June 6. It is hindering g my range of motion and pinches when I try to walk in a shoe. I walk inthe walking boot for now. Take pain killers on those bad days , don't suffer thru or your will get more depressed about it all. Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

I am 11 weeks post op. 10 fractures in Fibula, fracture inside ankle and ankle joint grossly dislocated. Received long plate 14 screws and I do on occasion feel rubbing on plate/screw. My ortho not concerned said all part of process it worried me as I had such a major injury and want it healing correctly. Spent first 8 weeks non weight bearing then two weeks partial weight bearing in boot with crutches now full weight bearing in boot with crutches although swelling has massively increased as well as pain since began full weight bearing. Have yet to start physical therapy and go back to ortho on Monday to see if test of these fractures have healed.

I wish you the best in your healing

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

I think I'm pretty close to your situation in injury and in PWB.

10 was post op today. In a boot for a couple of weeks. I'm amazed at how the healing process is progressing.

I use crutches and "walk" barefoot around the house in the morning then keep boot on during the day.

I took four steps all by myself in our RV this wknd.

The day after, it hurt like hell.

Taught me to not get ahead of myself.

I'm dying to walk and do and be out of this boot and back to a normal life.

Slow but sure.

Thank you for your update. Keeps me motivated and looking forward.

Here's to healing!

😀😀😀

• Posted

I'm on a right downer today. Pain and discomfort all day, dont know where to put my leg as nothing easing the pain. Had to up the meds. So crawling the walls. Then hop to bathroom and spy how the shower curtains so need bleaching, which start me off even more.....why cant i just switch off, why cant men just see what we see and then take them down for washing!!! grrrrrrr....rant nearly over

• Posted

Ha ha ha I get it, I usually do the spring cleaning right about now. I notice all the dust in the high up alcoves I can't reach and same as you wonder why my hubby just doesn't notice. I vacuumed with my walker one day and that took a couple of hours as I had to stop so many times. I wake up some days angry at the world and just want to walk normal again. I'm 5 mi this now and everyone says at 6 months you walk pretty good, but I just don't see that happening. Your surgery sounds extensive. I had my back part of my ankle fused with 2 large screws , then my front of my foot needed bone grafts and the bones needed to be straightened there. I have a plate and 2 screws there which are comming out. I'm stressing over that surgery thinking about all the things that could go wrong. This recovery is long and so difficult at times. My best friend who comes and visits me a lot is in Hawaii for 2 weeks so I'm really bummed out and lonely!

Keep your chin up!

Margie

• Posted

what are we like worrying about the dirt n dust. But it is getting me down. So fed up of givng orders and asking for things, even a coffee!! Another bad day today with shooting pains and feeling the plate on outside of my ankle. 6mths. OMG sounds years away. Hate to think about my state of mind with every one by then, as im loosing it now!! While pain is on ahigh I up my meds which then makes me very sleepy 

,so save up getting to the loo until im busting just to save hoping back n forth. I dont really know how many screws ive had put in because when my consultant started to tell me I askedhim not to tell me asI suffer bad anxiety attactsand felt myself getting worked up!! Had my stiches out 10 days ago and had a attack which was hurendus. This is going to be a long long haul. Nice to know your fiend is enjoying it in Hawai I too would feel bummed and lonely.....good foot forward..lol  sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Checking on you today. Hope it's a better day.

Sending healing thoughts. 😀

• Posted

I have been non-weight bearing for 14 weeks.  Going stir crazy.  Tired of this wheel chair as I cannot hold my leg up in a walker.  Yes I had all of the pains you describe. Just took meds as needed especially at night.  Finally stopped prescription med last weekend now just using Aleve nightly.  Hang in there.
    • Posted

Oh yes Ronald I was 13 weeks nwb. Do you know when you can weight beAr? I hope it is soon for you things get much better after that because you can make progress and get around easier.

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

14weeks OMG no way. Some of the things I'm reading makes me feel so dwn. This is just he'll. Had to up the meds again today. Pain bad plus being able to feel this bloody plate Yuk Yuk. Hope you don't need to up your meds again. Wishing you well. X

• Posted

Oh no not another one saying I have long way to go with this bloody NWb. I hope I can get put into boot in 3 weeks? Sad face 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.