Broken ankle?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello all fellow sufferers. 

I just wanted to sheare a huge tip with you all that has transformed my life! ......I was struggling on crutches which I found exhausting as well and frightening.. but have just bought a knee walker on Amazon (£120) which I hadn't even heard of before, and it is SO much better.... I can buzz around my flat from kitchen to bathroom etc and it feels really stable and easy. WHAT a difference. I know it's sounds like a lot but with 6 weeks weight off it only works out at £20 a week so worth every penny. Good luck everyone! 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes it is worth it.  I am on my 7th week of no weight bearing from a trimalleolar fracture.  Once I got my cast on I have been using my knee walker.  It goes with me everywhere.  The only time I am using crutches is for stairs.  I recommend the knee walker with hand breaks and parking breaks and of course the BASKET to carry items for you.  Ironically, I noticed people using these a couple of years after I broke a toe and was using crutches,  I said to my husband, boy I wish I had that when I was trying to get around....unfortunately my wish came true after missing the 3rd step of our outdoor deck!!!   Hopefully I am partial weight bearing next week, but I am sure I will still have the knee scooter around if I need it.  Happy healing!!!
  • Posted

Yes, I used one too - for over two months. Surgery was August 29 and just this past Monday, Dec 12, I graduated to two shoes. Long haul.
  • Posted

I am happy you have found something that works for you!  They look really good.  I didn't have the money for one unfortunately so I am using a four wheel walker with seat and brakes which I borrowed from the Red Cross.  I put my knee on the seat part and scoot along and find it so much easier than the crutches.  I had a triple arthrodesis so no weight bearing for 8 - 10 weeks.  Now in week 3 and so far so good.  Good luck to everyone out there!

• Posted

I think knee scooters are to die for!

I used a small chair turned around backwards for months!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.