Broken ankle !

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle on Wednesday went to a&e and got a temp cast put on it I'm due to go back this Friday to have a fibre glass cast put on. I've had it elevated most of the time since I done it I have moved around a bit more in the house today on crutches but noticed my toes go a darker colour when I move around and get an ache in my ankle for a few seconds then is fine when I elevate it again

I've been told by a friend that this is where the blood starts flowing properly because I'm upright after nearly a week of mainly elevating it. Is this right ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello lisa

Sorry to hear about your ankle and yes its normal...im 5 months pre ankle op and my foot goes all colours of red/purple once elevated it goes away...apparently swelling and the colour can last up to a year...just keep elevating it

Take care Maria👣

• Posted

Hi Lisa its really early days, yes on being upright your limb will become strange color, this will go off when you elevate it, also the pains are not nice but normal, you have a fracture and they are painful but will ease as time passes, when you go hospital they will give exercises to do, this will help and quicken up recovery, your young and will heal fast.

Don't over do it though.

• Posted

This is correct, and normal. I was told the same thing by my surgeon. Your broken foot will be darker, and will feel as soon as you stand all the blood rushing in. He did tell me to keep it elevated, so I use a pillow and stack towels on top. Ice Packs should be your best friends. Helpful for pain and decreases inflammation. I hope this helps you. Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.